HDX vs UnitiServe as Server only

If it goes wrong it is bad anyway… The seller is a nice guy and I fully trust him, that US works. Service was also done …
Hopefully all goes well with 1.7c and if it works it is a tremendous present (for a guy who will never ever have a NAS) :slight_smile:

Crossing fingers that it will work - my HDX is doing well so far (knock on wood). HDX is the same system.

HDX is indeed the same system, and has all the same issues as Unitiserve. Anyway, enjoy.

Read in another thread, that you bought a unitiCore - so you enjoy this Ripping-Storage unit as well.
Is the core so much better - or only the new version which is still fully supported?

The Unitiserve functionality was fine and the UnitiCore is in several ways less capable than the Unitiserve.

But UnitiCore uses Linux rather than an obsolete unsupported windows operating system and you can change the internal hard disc yourself easily if you need to, for example to replace it with an SSD or a larger HDD. Also UnitiCore has lots of scope for development going forward whereas Unitiserve cannot be further developed now.

You cannot replace a failed Unitiserve hard disc yourself and how long Naim can continue to support Unitiserve is anyone’s guess. A Naim service for Unitiserve is very expensive, more than a serviced Unitiserve is worth secondhand I think.

In terms of overall sound quality, I always thought Unitiserve was a little bit better than UnitiCore, but I was relieved when I managed to sell my Unitiserve to a dealer before it needed an expensive repair.

1 Like

I had my unitiserve serviced this time last year at a cost of £360 aswell as restoring my files and that update. All fingers crossed it should last another 12 years. I have only taken up a third of its hd disc space so many more opportunities for enjoyment.
The HDX has its own power supply/beefy transformer and caps so should in reality outperform the unitiserve with its little SMPS and choked power cable - worth remembering folks going gaga over the best after market linear power supply options available.

1 Like

Being honest now. How many NAS devices have you gone through since getting shot of the UServe ?

Hopefully mine (or the future one of my best friend) will hold a bit.
I bought it with sbooster PS included (ps is 1 year old). Think this will level the ps from hdx - maybe even better it, as it is separated. Plus Ethernet cable from chord … for a really good price.

1 Like

I cannot answer for HH, but I can say that if I want a server I can hop onto ebay and get many times more powerful and modern than a Userve (or efficient and modern if thats your thing) for a a couple of hundred quid.

Infact I did. I got a 4 drive enclosure with 64 gigs DDR4 and an Intel Xeon 4 core 8 thread processor, with separate network connectivity for 300 quid.

Good quality components, modern and fast. I run way more than a music server on it. This replaces a HP micro server N4l, which I think is 12 years old and I picked up around 10 years ago for 200 quid. Even back then more powerful than a ‘hifi server’

I don’t have any beef with audio companies jumping on the server bandwagon, but computer companies have been doing it way longer. I would rather stick with them for this side of my music journey.

1 Like

I first bought a Synology, which I used as a back up for the US. I installed Minim on the NAS and found it sounded better than the Serve, which I then sold. At the time Synology couldn’t run Asset and I eventually tired of the oddities of Minim. I therefore bought a Qnap in April 2016, installed Asset, and have had it ever since.

Thanks for replying. That’s good to know.
What with reading about NAS devices needing a further back up. I wondered if they had obsolescence built in like most other mainstream consumer electrical goods.

One further question
Can the serve also transcode flac into wav format on the fly?
Selected it in the DTC for hdx

Yes, exactly the same as the HDX.

1 Like

Any storage really should have a backup. I have a WD Elements USB that plugs into the the Qnap. Press a button and it does a differential backup. It’s very straightforward.

1 Like

Made the same test (minim on synology) against wav on hdx. Found the hdx to be a bit better - maybe imagination.
But in this case the hdx was also streamer. Maybe with separate streamer it is different or than there is no difference at all.

Any data needs to be backed up a harddrive is either failing or failed. This was true of hdx/Userve as well and offered the facility to do so to a NAS.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.