Headphone listening

I use a Fiio x7ii with wifi DLNA to my NAS and a pair of LCD-i4 to wander round the house, better than bluetooth.

1 Like

Has anyone here used the Headline with a SuperCap DR? I had a Headline with a HiCap DR which was pretty good but always wondered what a SuperCap would bring…

I’ve read (above) lot’s of suggestions for cans in the high end price range; well high price range for me anyway :wink:
Any suggestions, please, for me to consider in the £1000 or less bracket?

V happy with my Quad Era-1. About £599 I think. There are some good reviews out there too. As ever, try before buy. I preferred them to a number of alternatives at around £1k./

Bruce

1 Like

Staniand
“I use my Stax SR-L700’S with the SRM 006ts energiser. Not cheap but fantastic sound to my ears!”

I have the exact same headphones and energiser and totally agree about the fantastic sound. Interestingly I found a Russ Andrew powerkord I had hidden away in a drawer and thought I would try it in place of the supplied Stax mains lead on the energiser… I was VERY surprised with the improvement especially in the bass. So much clearer. I could now easily follow the bass guitar whereas previously that detail was missing (blurred).

Any suggestions not open back?

@anon4216120

Closed phones can be difficult in terms of soundstage. I bought my Audeze LCD XC used (in perfect nick) for less than a grand - about 800/850 if memory serves. Best closed backs I’ve heard, spacious sound for closed backs, good clear and deep bass. Sweet headphones.
Some find their weight a problem, but
I really haven’t noticed it as they are so comfy. Worth a search, and some patience perhaps in finding a good used pair.

1 Like

@steviebee Try the carbon fibre Audeze replacement headband has no effect on the sound at all but wow it feels fantastic!

1 Like

@Peter1480

I have one on order! Glad to hear it’s worth it :slight_smile:

Wow that’s some serious discount over the new prices I’m seeing!

@anon4216120

Yep, made them pretty much a must-try!
I checked - the XC were £875, the LCD3 £795.
And both were in lovely condition.
So it really is worth keeping an eye out!

I’ll keep an eye out for bargain price Audeze…

So sort of on the same topic, headphone amps.

The DAC doesn’t have a 'phones output; when I ordered the DAC I never thought I’d be that interested in using headphones and, tbh, at an extra 2 grand for the headphone stage I’m still not that interested! I’d rather spend that on the 'phones.

The other option then is a headphone amp on the output from the DAC. The DAC has XLR and RCA so what are the implications of using BOTH these outputs at the same time: One to the pre-amp and the other to the headphone amp.

I see a product described as
“Audeze LCD-XC Planar Magnetic Headphones (Creators Edition)”

Which seems to be a different version of the XC… so what’s the difference between the ‘Creators Edition’ and the ‘Standard’ version apart from several hundred quid?

Found the answer… the creators version is missing the flightcase and balanced cable. tbh I could live with that and save the £300 to £400!

1 Like

I’ve not heard of the Creators Edition.
The flight cases are really good - if travelling.
But a bit big and ott for home storage!

Yes I’d only have to find somewhere to store the case :wink:

@anon4216120

Exactly! They’re pretty big and distinctly fall outside of my wife’s definition of stylish storage :smiley:

In answer to my own question and in case anyone was curious. I’ve been advised that there are no issues using both the RCA and XLR outputs simultaneously and, in fact, this is a setup often used where people want to drive a headphone amp (as in my case) or even two amp/speakers systems e.g. different rooms at the same time.

This is all starting to come together!

1 Like

Originally bought for travel, I now find that sitting out on the patio of an evening with my B&W PX’s and Tidal on the mobile device (ensuring happy neighbours) to be one of life’s great audio pleasures…

A word of caution re Audeze. I found a similar model very heavy and uncomfy and could not seriously consider them. The closed back version is even heavier at 650g. Open back competitors are more like 350 to 400g

When I tested several brands the sound characteristics of each varied quite significantly. Add in comfort issues and ‘try before you buy’ is really essential for phones I reckon.

2 Likes