Headphones for late night listening

Looking for some thoughts on cans I should consider for late night listening sessions which aren’t frequent or particularly long.

I’m wondering if my current headphones (KEF M500’s) are partially to blame for the lack of use? These are driven by either my Supernait2 or my RME ADI2 fs Dac. The later has two headphone sockets on it, one for over ear and one for IEM’s. RME claim the ADI2 can drive any headphone or IEM.

Either amp I use with the KEF’s they never really excite me and i usually just end up putting the TV on and watching some rubbish. Which is contrary to listening to music through my speakers when listening sessions can last hours.
I’m happy to spend up to £300 new or secondhand

Thanks in advance. Steve

Meze 99 Classics go well with the RME I have both. But they might not be to your taste. Sennhieser hd600 or 650 are generally looked favourably for open backs.

2 Likes

I have bought a pair of the Meze 99 Classics for my Nova and very happy with them. Great for late night listening. V comfortable and are closed rather than open backed design ( I once managed to wake my wife up with noise from a previous pair of open backed Grados!). Look great and cost about £250. I can’t recommend them enough

2 Likes

They really are good value. I think I still prefer them overall to my Focal Elear. They are just fun to listen to and toes tap a lot.

1 Like

thanks guys. The Meze’s are on my list for what i can read on the web, glad to hear real life experience.

+1 for M99c.
Closed and very comfore for late night listening.

1 Like

just to add to the comments re Mezze Classic 99…lovely sounding phones for the money and super comfy…highly recommended

2 Likes

@carruthersesq if you don’t mind me asking how are finding the RME DAC?

i also recommend the meze 99 classic very comfy and sound great

1 Like

It’s very good. Out of the box on std settings I liked it immediately. One of the huge benefits is that you can set up each input separately with the EQ. Meaning I can add some lower frequencies for tv watching but not for music. Very flexible.

I compared it to a Chord Qutest and struggled to chose one, could happily lived with either but the flexibility and £300-£400 saving over the Chord made it a no brainer.

1 Like

I agree very happy with mine to.

1 Like

Well Jeez, now I’m gonna have to listen to some Meze Classic 99’s, after all these recommendations.

I was going to say that my ol’ Sennheiser HD540 Reference still sound so good after all these years, that if they ever die, I’ll replace them with some HD800’s or such.

I’m sure either would sound excellent.

Dave

1 Like

looks a resounding endorsement for the Meze’s!

Meze’s arrived today. Out of the box they are superior to the outgoing KEF’s. I think I’ll enjoy using them. Also super comfy.

Do you require any running in?

1 Like

Little bit of running in over first 2-3 uses but haven’t noticed much change since. Glad you like them. I think they look and sound great for the money. And very comfortable as you say

1 Like

They change a little but not much. You can also get into pad and cable rolling to tweak them if necessary. I changed the pads on mine to Brainwavz Sheepskin ones and upgraded the cable to the Meze silver litz balanced one so I can use it with the balanced output of my DAP. The pads helped control the bass a bit more and the cable helped lift the detail, especially in the DAP.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.