Headphones vs Streamer upgrade

This is a great advantage of the ND5XS2 because:

1. There is not a hole full of noisy electronics in the casework of the ND5XS2.
  2. None of the production budget for the ND5XS2 went to designing and buying and building in a screen - more SQ per £.
  3. The ND5XS2 user doesn’t have to peer at a small screen on the other side of the room wondering what it says - just look at the iPad you used to play the song.
  4. The screen on an ND5XS2 can’t go wrong (because there isn’t one). :grin:
2 Likes

I use the Atom HE most of the time with my olive 52/SC/250. The nDAC/XPS DR takes too much shelf space and it is either nDAC or my Linn Aro/Keel/Klimax on the Fraim. The Atom HE is a lot of fun and I don’t feel like I am missing a lot compared to the nDAC + I have headphone access then.

Updated system description in profile:
NAC52/SC/250 + Atom HE or nDAC/XPS DR + Linn LP12 Aro/Keel/Klimax/Kandid + Falcon LS3/5 goldbadge

And a non-Naim systems that is not listed:
Accuphase E800 + DC37 + C37 + DPS3/Schroeder CB/Lyra Atlas Lambda SL + Devore O/96 or Graham LS5/9

So when you compared the Atom HE vs nDAC/XPS DR in your system there wasn’t much difference in SQ?

That’s odd because simply removing the 555DR from my nDAC made my system sound distinctly lacking, weaker, less satisfying and less real - and my system’s quite similar to yours (ND5XS2, nDAC, 52, 135s, SL2s).

I certainly think there is a distinct difference in SQ - from my impression:
nDAC/XPS DR > Atom HE > nDAC

I noticed a similar step up in improvement with the XPS DR for the nDAC without the nDAC is lacking dynamics, flow, and impact. I actually feel that the Atom HE does better than the nDAC alone - better dynamics, larger soundstage, excellent flow while falling a little behind the nDAC in detail and resolution. With the XPS DR the nDAC is better and catches up with the Atom HE on dynamics and soundstage with more detail, richer tonality and better resolution.

The Atom HE is still enjoyable and does not feel totally outclassed by the nDAC. I can imagine it to work really well in a 82/180 system with focus on dynamics, drive and PRAT.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.