Hearing loss - Can't ignore it any longer!

THANK YOU AMER …(actually I read you right first time) :nerd_face:

1 Like

Roger, I know your sadness having over the years graduated to the depressing borders of “severe” hearing loss. Eventually you have to address what you are missing when TV sub-titles become permanently on…

Firstly I have found with hearing loss, I have become more sensitive to sound quality - I suspect because I listen more carefully.

I have gone the ‘expensive’ private route which has allowed me to test many hearing aids! I found the best hearing aids to reproduce higher frequencies (higher sampling rates) and to be less prone to distortion and digital artifacts. I have also found the ‘power drivers’ (for greater hearing loss) to produce less distortion at higher levels.

I have a very supportive audiologist. The system of ‘prescribing’ aids by determining the hearing loss curve does not IMHO give a good result for music. Over numerous visits she has set up a music program to my requirements, turning off the digital processing and tailoring the frequency curve, levels and balance to my needs. This has been critical to getting the best compromise overall.

My recommendation is don’t be afraid of hearing aids; they aren’t perfect but you can still enjoy your HiFi. However, do find a patient audiologist, expect a period of readjustment and persevere with getting them set up how you want them.

Then think about your system.

Finally there is a bonus! With good aids, you might hear other people and the TV much more easily too.

Kevin

2 Likes

I have hearing aid it is terrible when i listen to the cd player

Oh gosh ! Who is the manufacturer and how long have you had them ?? :sos:

1 Like

Same for me at the beginning - it took about ten further visits to the audiologist to get the results I wanted.

1 Like

Er… not sure it’s a bonus!
And you also hear again the unpleasant noises of everyday life - creaking floors, etc.

1 Like

I have a hearing aid it is terrible when i listen to my naim cd player i have tinnitus. But it is okay for the
Tc

1 Like

I will see after lockdown

1 Like

High Sam, my wife sees it as a bonus… :laughing:

My brain has tuned out the everyday sounds after 15 years!

Kevin

1 Like

Here’s a nice compact solution:

4 Likes

An early STAX prototype ?

No doubt. Note the energiser in a separate shed…

Best

David

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.