Heaven knows I’m miserable now

I was prompted to post this thread by a picture of Morrissey on stage wearing a T shirt uncomplimentary to the Guardian and referring to his support for For Britain, a far right group. Unfortunately the picture was removed. It seems that it’s OK to post offensive jokes and a stream of sexism but not ok to post a picture of someone wearing a shirt with a swear word. It’s a bit like the Daily Mail, where readers’ delicate sensibilities must be protected while at the same time the paper spews hate. Oh well, like it or lump it.

As to some nastiness in posts generally, it’s something I’ve noticed. There is a level of obsession in some that seems to lead to them taking an entrenched position and becoming determined to prove they are right on something that really doesn’t matter in the scheme of things.

1 Like

I’m picking that you missed the irony of being sensitive enough about the photo to post that you were now miserable because someone has a different view of things.

We can always choose not to be affected by things that annoy us, though taking a break or a nice walk can always help :sunglasses:

I’m far from miserable about it, merely disappointed. I’m assuming that you know the song, which is one of my favourites.

1 Like

No, sorry, I took the thread title literally. That’s forum conversation for you, easy to cross our wires - that’s why I avoid the cable threads.

It’s one of their most well known songs, hence its appropriateness. I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour but heaven knows I’m miserable now, I was looking for a job and then I found a job and heaven knows I’m miserable now. In my life, why do I give valuable time to people who don’t care if I live or die? It’s a great song, you should check it out.

1 Like

I did play the The Queen is Dead in your honour today.

1 Like

An absolute classic! Charles do you ever crave to appear on the front of the Daily Mail dressed in your mother’s bridal veil…

1 Like

Oh Pete , as a very militant moderate (despairing of the UK) I come on here to get away from politics

I’m not advocating a return of political threads it was just a observation. I’m happy they’re gone.

1 Like

I’d agree with you on that. I just re-read your initial post and you almost quote another Morrissey title - we hate it when our friends become successful. At least, I think it was him, my memory plays tricks sometimes.

Going slightly OT but I think the new forum is more accessible across formats than any previous version. That change instantly loses some users and gains others. The new members don’t necessarily connect to Naim in the way older members do having bought some very different devices such as streamers. It’s a different sector and different people with a different approach to music and life. All healthy good stuff on the surface but I’ve noticed a tendency to some fairly glib new threads such as “top 10” this or “best” that and in turn this appears to have triggered some fairly reactionary threads along the lines of the English and science threads. In past years members who sat squarely in the middle ground would have rightly ridiculed both for their pomposity and pointlessness but now those threads act almost as a sanctuary for the more reactionary and entrenched members who want a place where the world really isn’t changing as fast as it. A place they can be surrounded by others who feel the same. In other words whereas once the whole forum felt like a sanctuary, people are now trying to create their own within that.

Natural consequence of markets and everything else fracturing but it makes for a far less cohesive forum experience than before for some. The presence of political threads absolutely highlighted that and it was a wise and overdue decision to ban them. We all now need different things from Naim.

I see Morrissey in the same terms. He was always a man out of time but he connected for a while with a band and an audience who thought they saw common ground. Then, given that access, he revealed more of his true self and it really wasn’t and isn’t pleasant. It’s hard to read the lyrics to any of the turgid Meat Is Murder album and see anything but a right wing ideologue.

I’ll stick with their best music but best not discuss the man behind some of it.

Yes, I come here to get away from politics. Music, wine, travel, photos , rugby , cricket, Yes

Trump, Johnson and Corbyn - No

1 Like

My quote from the Smiths was a fluke I did however quote the Moody Blues intentionality.

That’s an interesting take on Meat is Murder. I’ve never thought it turgid and while many of the lyrics are dark I’ve never read any right wing ideology into it. Maybe I’ve not looked hard enough. The line he killed a policeman when he was thirteen and somehow that really impressed me had always intrigued me. Is it just anti establishment rhetoric thrown down with little thought, I dunno.

It’s great though that the band and the singer still inspire such a love, and a dislike, which indicates their importance. It’s certainly not nothing music, musical blancmange, like Coldplay or Snow Patrol. Will people be discussing their songs in 35 years time?

I missed that one!! You must point it out.

You overestimate my skills I fear. As a scientist and then an accountant I’m really not at all creative. I’d love to have musical or songwriting talent, or to be able to paint or make beautiful furniture, but sadly they have escaped me. I do love music, or course, and the arts generally, which will have to suffice.

It’s from a Moody Blues track of the same name.

1 Like

Thanks!

I think there was a little bit of politics creeping in. It was agreed sometime ag9 this should be a politics free zone.

I took ir that your thread was about liking music by a person you no longer liked. The type of thing that could be applied to Rolf Harris. I did have some albums by him, but deleted the rips and binned the CDs.

I thought maybe you had decided to do the same with the Smiths and was seeking others opinions.

Brilliant song by a truly great band

I’m just a wandering on the face of this earth
Meeting so many people
Who are trying to be free
And while I’m traveling I hear so many words
Language barriers broken
Now we’ve found the key
And if you want the wind of change
To blow about you
And you’re the only other person to know, don’t tell me
I’m just a singer in a rock and roll band

A thousand pictures can be drawn from one word