Hegel 190 impressions compared to SN3 and 282/250

Thank you @RibbonBass for the concise answer.
I’m a Naim signature sound person.
But i respect different approach ‘s to same problems.

It’s always a question of personal taste.

Yes, it’s personal preference. But I don’t think anyone really would think Hegel sounds bad if coupled with good speakers, especially when you crank the volume up. But I too prefer Naim, in my room and with my speakers Naim Uniti Nova sounds better especially on low / mid volume listening levels. But it’s also much more expensive than H190.

1 Like

Poor build quality does not always have to relate with component failures…

At the time, I went with Hegel because they were maybe the only options with dac and streaming capabilities among the limited alternatives at the price range in my country.

Regarding the build qualities, my H90 had small pixel issue on the screen, otherwise it was ok. I upgraded to H190, and noticed the case was not straight out of the box, one corner being higher than the other corner. And after several days one of the speaker connectors on the back came loose so I exchanged for another one… Second H190 also had pixel issue on the screen as my H90 had and in addition to that the case was not level on this one as well. The demo unit at my dealer also did not had a level case so I though all H190 must be like this for some odd reason. Plus, my second H190s network function did not work out of the box and dealer found out that the WIFI card inside was not fully seated from the factory. The metal remote control’s screws on the back cover for batteries were not properly screwed in as well… they were not level with the case when screwed and there were also rust inside the battery compartment, so my dealer changed with a new remote control. So in general, if you look closely at the Hegel units, you will see in the details that the construction is cheaply made although for some the sound quality might be exceptionally good. Anyway, I sold the H190 and moved on to other brands, now owning a Nova…

2 Likes

The Hegel 190 costs £3,300 and the SN3 £3,500, though of course the former includes a streamer so it’s more akin to a Nova. For £3,300, which is hardly small change, I’d expect superlative build quality.

2 Likes

The Hegel has good build quality, although that’s not their main focus. They spend much more on their sound engine than on build, looks and functionality. They don’t even have an app.

That’s not the price where I live.
The Hegel H190 is USD 4000,- and the NAIM Supernait 3 is USD 6600,-. The Naim Uniti Nova is USD 6900,-.

Sorry, but not in my experience.

1 Like

I just edited it to “good” after reading your post and thinking twice about it.

I find the Hegels rather appealing and very good value, though the SN3 is certainly not double the cost of the H190, regardless of which country’s prices you choose for the comparison.

Yes I exaggerated a bit. But SN3 is much more expensive even without streaming and a DAC.

Likewise, but not the same price: in Portugal Naim it’s average 25% more for the equivalent rival

I guess it’s only reasonable to note that the Uniti range has suffered from it’s fair share of build quality issues as well, including DOA units etc…

2 Likes

I sure didn’t pay 6600 for mine.

I know. That’s why I asked clarification in what YOU consider. It’s strange that you had that experience. Two in two units with that quantity of faults.
I admit I only demo one : Rost

And didn’t put a hand on. ( invested time looking with analysing eyes)

I just looked at Upscale Audio in California and it’s $4,990. Which is $6,600 if you round up and add $1,600.

9 Likes

That’s why I like you HH.

1 Like

Funny guy :unamused: you’re going to jail for this.

I live in Scandinavia. So that’s why I said “the price where I live”.

1 Like

Clearly my ability with maths is my appeal. With the Hegel at $4,000 and the Naim at $4,990, the Naim is double the price if you come from the school of maths of the University of Nonsense.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m still laughing!!

I was unaware that Scandinavia used USD as its currency. Euro or Kroner I could understand.

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::wink:

Hope HH doesn’t mind with the association,
but he remind me Nick Kyrgios.
I love him: everyone seem to hate him, but I dont:
It’s against the establishment. Corrosive sometimes.
But at least have character. It,s an original.
I like that.

For the older generation, it’s equal to John McenRoe

4 Likes