Hello from new member - My system

that would work.

2 Likes

I haven’t done this with a Qutest, although the 1V setting would certainly help. I did use a Hugo, and then Dave, both of which have variable volume which can be reduced to provide a lower level input which Naim preamps prefer.
You could, of course, just put an attenuator on the input, but these can affect sound quality, whereas the Chord DACs seem to sound better in Naim systems when they are dialled down a bit.

1 Like

@ChrisSU Very good, thanks for your reply.

We had a member here who had a Nova feeding Volti Rivals, upgraded to a supernait and streamer and didn’t get on with the result. Last I remember he’d moved on to Boarder Patrol but he seems to have moved on again since.

Klipse aren’t Volti but are more similar than different compared to most of our speakers here. Take your time to be sure.

1 Like

Yes I did go from a Uniti Nova to a SN3/HCDR/NDX2/XPS DR combo with my Rivals and I felt the Uniti Nova had better control over the Rivals. However I think this was speaker-dependent, due to the unique impedance curve of the Rivals. I wouldn’t chalk it up to a sensitivity issue. Although those who mentioned that the Alps volume pot on the SN3 could be an issue with highly sensitive speakers may be onto something there as well. I did always detect a bit of a channel imbalance with the SN3 at lower levels. Mainly my problems were with a bit of noise and distortion at certain frequencies where the Rivals seemed to dip in impedance that made my sensitive ears cringe a bit. I never had the issue with the Nova. The SN3 + NDX2 was sonically superior in terms of resolution and power but the Nova seemed to be a better match with my speakers.

I have since moved on, first from the SN3 to Backert Labs/Luxman separates, but still keeping my NDX2, which I upgraded with a 555 PS DR. The NDX2 + 555 PSDR is fantastic, I had not beaten it with any other external DAC combo - I also used the Innuos Zen MK3 as a streamer but found slightly better sound quality using the Naim app/NDX2 as a streamer and the Innuos Zen as a server only.

I am in the process of moving on yet again, this time downsizing big time to yet another integrated, in this case the Technics SU-R1000. It won’t arrive until December so I’m getting along with the little sibling, G700MK2 which is also an amazing digital amp. Definitely the polar opposite of Naim and my other separates, but a much cleaner system with only 1 box + my turntable (and Innuos) and there really is nothing else I have ever heard like these Technics GaN integrateds. Once you hear them they make quite an impression, but they are also “all or nothing,” it makes no sense to use a separate preamp or power amp or DAC (although you can) because they all work together as a whole.

Good luck with your journey!

I use a Sonnet Digital Morpheus DAC & it allows you to adjust the output without reducing sound quality. Initially I didn’t think I had any use of this function but it actually works very well, allowing me to match both my digital & vinyl playback levels, & in the case of Naim, allows for more range on the volume control with the digital source.

1 Like

Congratulations! The NDX2 streaming to the HiCapDR > SN 3 is a wonderful system and you will enjoy the music for years to come!

Welcome to the forum and first bit of advice would be to add a XPS DR power supply to the NDX 2!

The difference between the ND5 and NDX2 is far more than a screen and the option to upgrade as a # of earlier post could suggest.

I’ve had both new trading places in the same system. The ND5 is an excellent streamer but NDX2 is significantly better in every way. As it should be given the price difference.

3 Likes

I happen to have known a guy who was a member here - not personally, but we exchanged emails - he has owned a Pass Labs INT if I remember right, with Klipsch Heresy IIIs.
He wasn’t very happy about it. As far as I know, there exist people who use Klipsch big boxes with an Atom, and are happy.

Best,
H.

In the last 30 years i used my KEF 104.2 (90 db sen.4-3.2ohms)e powerd by 0live 250 later 250 dr,cb hicap later h.c dr,all the time with a 72 pre(always serviced).Lately l changed the speaker to LV AVATAR.A great improvment,better bass better soundstage and better control on the tweeter but still the tweeter botherd me.Since I also wanted to reduce box count I changed my amp set to a SN3, also l had a sense that that the speakers were overpowerd with the pre power set.Well the change was a pleasent surprise,no more tweeter harshness, soprano singer were controled for the first time since I changed my cd player to a CDX2 ,no loss of weight or resolution at all a no need for an hicap(sold it).I think NAIM did A great job with the SN3 and to my ears maybe unlike other NAIM combinations the SN3 is very suitable to the LV speakers and probably to other efficient speakers.

May I ask which model. INT-25, INT-60 or INT-250?

The SN3 is a really solid fast amp … that covers its tracks really well…it would take 282/250dr to better it… I would think it would be a major upgrade over the Star… which does things well. You will get more of everything…the mid band on the SN3 is particularly clear and insightful :ok_hand: so it should in theory match the Cornwalls… Naim spent allot of time getting the SN3 just right…it is probably one of Naim’s most important products…

5 Likes

Another for Supernait 3 here too.
I’ve been through various pre and power combinations for many years but as soon as I put the S3 in place it all just came together.
You couldn’t really need any more power in a domestic environment.
Mine gives me all I need and have miles of headroom left. :+1:t2:

4 Likes

same here and agree with all that.

3 Likes

Hi Texas
Did you go for the sn3?

I have nd5 xs2 and sn3 into focal micro utopias and am considering the Cornwall’s.

Also did you audition the la scalas?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.