Help choosing speakers for Naim Uniti Nova

great looking speaker but sadly out of my league!

Hi staxs
You mentioned focal so I felt duty bound to say that my utopia be standmounts have worked well with a unitilite, supernait 1 and now supernait 3. If you can find a used focal standmount from their utopia range i am sure you would set for enjoyment from a wide range of music.
That being said and In fairness i did audition a nova late last year with Graham audio LS5/9 standmounts. If I didn’t have the focals I would have bought them on the spot. Fantastic detail, warmth and bass that fully pressurised the room. Hugely enjoyable! The following week in the same room I tried an ndx2 into a sn3 into floor standing elacs a combination that failed to reach the same levels. This isn’t a critism of the ndx2 or sn3 but is perhaps justification for forums such as this and listening to a variety of combinations. Time spent in recognisance is rarely wasted!

Richard, many thanks for the honest insight. I have to admit I’ve not heard of Graham Audio but I’ve checked out the price & characteristics and, on paper at least they really tick a lot of boxes even though they trash my budget a little. A big attraction (for better or worse) is they reportedly reproduce recordings warts and all. I have to say, I’m really looking forward to auditioning these with my Nova - just need to find a dealer who will loan me a set!

I think there are a few dealers around the uk who also carry Naim. A similar design is Harbeth (though more expensive). My experience of the the nova and graham’s was at my Naim dealer in Exeter.

I managed to listen to some ATC SCM40’s yesterday with the Nova. Sounded great (at the dealers anyway) but concerned if the Nova is really powerful enough to get the most out of these speakers. Thanks in advance and for all the other suggestions.

Hi Stax187,

I auditioned Neat Ekstra and the discontinued Momentum SX3i with a Nova in Sydney about 2 years ago.
My friends and I were impressed by the sound of the Ekstras but all preferred the Momentums.
(The dealer did mention that the Momentums had been used as demos for a few months while the Ekstras were very fresh - not sure if that impacted sound.)
I needed a forgiving near boundary solution so the Ekstras would have might have worked better in my space but I felt the momentums were richer sounding… I was unable to decide between the two.

I ended up buying a second-hand pair of Xplorers and they sound great, are reasonably forgiving in my space and were affordable. They sound great to my ears when I play Jazz and Classical and occasional pop/rock.

Good luck.

Will

I wouldn’t be concerned about power, chances are if they sounded good then they’ll be absolutely fine. I got paranoid about my Nait XS not being enough for my Dynaudio Evoke 50s after reading comments on forums and the like. “Those speakers need at least a 250, preferably a 300 to shine” etc. Utter codswallop. Sure they’ll sound better with those amps but they also sound bloody marvellous on mine. As always the most important part is how the speakers interact with your room.

6 Likes

Hi Rob,
I think you are spot on because, after I raised my concern here I rang ATC themselves and spoke to one of their technicians who reassured me the Nova would have no issues whatsoever driving the SMC40’s and bringing out the best in them. If you consider it a negative he said it just wouldn’t be able to drive them to eardrum bursting levels a more powerful amp would.
Anyway, very reassuring to have you confirm what the manufacturer states. Really impressed by ATC support and thanks a lot for your down to earth advice.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.