Help me choose a budget streamer

Check out the Eversolo DMP-A6. $859 for a streamer/DAC with a usable touch screen. It’s definitely the flavor of the month these days, in the under 1k category.

J McB

1 Like

Have you tried a Sonos Port? They play all the provider’s and are very economic. The store that I shop sells high-end and they demo Sonos against very expensive units. The port is plug and play with your cell phone being the controller and visual display.

Flavor of the month(s) is indeed an apt banner for Eversolo DMP-A6 @jimmyMcB ! I will investigate more as I had dismissed it because of the screen. Seeing some YouTube reviews the screen might actually be an asset, will think about that. They’re out of stock here for a few weeks until the next container comes in, so that gives me some time.

@Gordon Sonos seems to be forgotten (by me at least) with the popularity of Bluesound here, but is of course also a candidate. No usb though.

Thanks for all the feedback so far, it has been enlightening! Looks like my shortlist has been extended to a longlist again. I will take Lindemann off and add some of the other devices mentioned. Do not hesitate to add any (extended) user feedback how they are in daily life.

I love the BlueSound products. The node checks all the boxes for your needs. I would consider the X since you don’t have a dac. The app is very good and stable. Airplay and Bluetooth can’t hurt either when the kid’s visit.

1 Like

A friend of mine has got a Cambridge CXN V2 and is very happy with it.
I’m on the lookout for a streamer/dac setup and have put the CXN V2 on my shortlist.

Caveat: I’ve not heard the CXN V2 myself and it’s not pumping into Naim either.

Ah yes the bigger Cambridge @Robbo1 I had already shortlisted its little brother MXN10.

Thank you @naitman and @Neilb1906 for more NODE votes!

Meanwhile I found this related thread (ND5-XS vs Bluesound Node vs Cambridge CXN v2) and there are probably more “budget streamer” threads that escaped my first search, will do some speed-reading, there’s budget and budget of course.

Please bear in mind that some manufacturers’ apps are far better than others, so this should be considered alongside the actual streamer itself.
The BluOS app is very well regarded and makes the Node range a tempting option.
Conversely, the IFi app is dreadful but their streamers are excellent.
Shame to buy a great sounding streamer with a rubbish app.

1 Like

A multi-review by Dutch guys even, thank you @jmtennapel your search skills are much better than mine! The Eversolo sounds very good in this comparison with the Node X.
That said, I found a Darko review on the Eversolo as well, and when I look at that on-screen software interface compared to the BluOS app or the Naim app, well, guess I’m too old :wink:

I have found the original Bluesound node to sound excellent with the Nait 2. The app is stable and easy to use.

8 Likes

@ChrisSU Have a Pulsemini and it’s really good for the money. It gets the PRaT right which most inexpensive streamers don’t.

Plus, it’s upgradable down the road with an LPS and it is excellent as transport as well.

Good app too

2 Likes

If you don’t need a DAC, go for the Wiim pro.

Thank you @IDAK for sharing another real-world experience of the Node with the Nait 2. Great looking system btw!

Now that is an interesting new option @jmtennapel the Volumio Primo, like the Innuos some different design and made in Europe and apparently a very good sound! Will look into this.

Indeed @domenico the WiiM seems to be a wonderful budget contender in this market but unfortunately no usb for my rips.

Yes @nicnaim the Pulse Mini was suggested by @ChrisSU and definitely looks interesting, no Spotify Connect though from what I could tell.

Thank you all for your feedback so far! It is now weekend so I have some time to look and perhaps shop around, and give all suggestions some more thought.

1 Like

Correct. No Spotify connect. Not sure it will be added in updates or not. The app is excellent though.

I’d revoke the children’s pocket money, let them collect beercans from the street, let them do a newspaper run. Stop smoking, don’t drink booze, eat just macaroni for 3 months and buy a nd5xs2. If you search carefully, they can be had for a bit over 2k.

5 Likes

Funny you’d say that now @Ardbeg10y because…stay tuned

1 Like

Whatever you do, daddycool, it will be good. Enjoy! … and keep us updated.

1 Like

…at that point I had reached the same conclusion and was just off the phone with my friendly Naim dealer after a good chat about this together. And he called me back this morning with an offer to purchase his demo ND5 XS2 / Nait XS3 combo at a price that was simply too good to refuse.

So two Naim black boxes incoming!

7 Likes

Excellent news daddycool. I took the Atom HE route myself but have heared the xs3 / nd5xs2 combo a few times and it’s great. It gives so much flexibility and quality for a modest financial and physical footprint.

Where’s your dealer? I usually ( well that’s once per year or so ) to the Arnhem and Utrecht based dealers.

The dealer is in the Rotterdam metropolitan area @Ardbeg10y.

I understand well the route you took, as in december 2021 I was very impressed by an Atom HE with a NAP200. In the end I did not want to give up the LP12, and listenings sessions with the ND5 XS2 / Nait XS3 combo had already convinced me. Then life got in the way and the idea was shelved. I subsequently had all my existing stuff refurbished instead, which was a worthwhile investment. I hadn’t expected for this opportunity to come by at the right time when I was now actually looking for a budget streamer.

But this is seriously hijacking my own thread about budget streamers. Thanks everyone for your input and feedback, I wouldn’t have been able to make up my mind without it!

2 Likes

@daddycool
Apologies, as I have only just found your thread and request for thoughts.
Have you now found a solution?
Looks like a happy ending.

Good luck.
R

1 Like