Help me choose a budget streamer

I have found the original Bluesound node to sound excellent with the Nait 2. The app is stable and easy to use.

8 Likes

@ChrisSU Have a Pulsemini and it’s really good for the money. It gets the PRaT right which most inexpensive streamers don’t.

Plus, it’s upgradable down the road with an LPS and it is excellent as transport as well.

Good app too

2 Likes

If you don’t need a DAC, go for the Wiim pro.

Thank you @IDAK for sharing another real-world experience of the Node with the Nait 2. Great looking system btw!

Now that is an interesting new option @jmtennapel the Volumio Primo, like the Innuos some different design and made in Europe and apparently a very good sound! Will look into this.

Indeed @domenico the WiiM seems to be a wonderful budget contender in this market but unfortunately no usb for my rips.

Yes @nicnaim the Pulse Mini was suggested by @ChrisSU and definitely looks interesting, no Spotify Connect though from what I could tell.

Thank you all for your feedback so far! It is now weekend so I have some time to look and perhaps shop around, and give all suggestions some more thought.

1 Like

Correct. No Spotify connect. Not sure it will be added in updates or not. The app is excellent though.

I’d revoke the children’s pocket money, let them collect beercans from the street, let them do a newspaper run. Stop smoking, don’t drink booze, eat just macaroni for 3 months and buy a nd5xs2. If you search carefully, they can be had for a bit over 2k.

5 Likes

Funny you’d say that now @Ardbeg10y because…stay tuned

1 Like

Whatever you do, daddycool, it will be good. Enjoy! … and keep us updated.

1 Like

…at that point I had reached the same conclusion and was just off the phone with my friendly Naim dealer after a good chat about this together. And he called me back this morning with an offer to purchase his demo ND5 XS2 / Nait XS3 combo at a price that was simply too good to refuse.

So two Naim black boxes incoming!

7 Likes

Excellent news daddycool. I took the Atom HE route myself but have heared the xs3 / nd5xs2 combo a few times and it’s great. It gives so much flexibility and quality for a modest financial and physical footprint.

Where’s your dealer? I usually ( well that’s once per year or so ) to the Arnhem and Utrecht based dealers.

The dealer is in the Rotterdam metropolitan area @Ardbeg10y.

I understand well the route you took, as in december 2021 I was very impressed by an Atom HE with a NAP200. In the end I did not want to give up the LP12, and listenings sessions with the ND5 XS2 / Nait XS3 combo had already convinced me. Then life got in the way and the idea was shelved. I subsequently had all my existing stuff refurbished instead, which was a worthwhile investment. I hadn’t expected for this opportunity to come by at the right time when I was now actually looking for a budget streamer.

But this is seriously hijacking my own thread about budget streamers. Thanks everyone for your input and feedback, I wouldn’t have been able to make up my mind without it!

2 Likes

@daddycool
Apologies, as I have only just found your thread and request for thoughts.
Have you now found a solution?
Looks like a happy ending.

Good luck.
R

1 Like

No worries @ratrat, this quest came to an unexpected good solution.

Also I’ve learned a lot in the process from all the kind input and feedback. Which will not go to waste as it is also input for a possible second system.

1 Like

That’s funny you have said that :thinking:

The moment I read you had decided XS3 + ND5 XS2, I then thought, oh heck. :flushed: what about his Naim CB ?

As I know you’re really happy with the Nait. Which is such a super item. So I wondered about that?
(Honestly, IMO an original Nait and LP12 is cool, classic and just perfect).

Okay. Phew :disappointed_relieved: That makes perfect sense now…

Good luck

1 Like

I respectfully disagree. I would not use the WiiM mini DAC (although it does not suck) but for a streamer I think as good as my Node at least

Let me exacerbate it for you: it’s probably selling like hot cakes in winter.

I agree there. If you’re spending way north of 10K on a primary system using a $100 streamer (no matter how good of a bargain) makes no sense

Some of us, including myself, are just saying the WiiM is no slouch. I sort of have a weird system The naim system is my second system. I like my first system more but many would say the naim is better. To me they sound very close, different speakers etc. In the naim I do use the WiiM streamer and a $400 pro-ject DAC. It sounds good. If I put the real streamer and DAC into the second system it takes it up, maybe a few %

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.