Help me find those micro-details

My copy is from a ripped CD redbook played from a NAS.

Mine too.

G

Maybe it’s the 250DR :zipper_mouth_face:

@Mr. Halibut I apologize what I meant to say is your opinion is certainly valid but not so much in line with the desires of the OP I quote you “From a personal perspective I really don’t care if I can hear the first violin farting or the cellist picking their nose. This artificial level of detail isn’t what I look for.”

But Mr. Fish it sounds like that’s what the OP wants?? He wants smacking lips and other little details and Isn’t that what matters it’s the OP’s system not yours, you know we don’t just have Vanilla for a reason :slight_smile:

I just figured I’d check it on Spotify streaming to Bluesound Node 2/Nait XS/Majik 109s (my second system) and I can clearly hear it.

From this I can conclude that the Nait XS is much superior to the 82/180. :stuck_out_tongue:

Kidding aside, it was depressing to listen for this kind of noise as it is so far removed from how I listen to music.

1 Like

But this means that low-level musical details might be lost as well.

1 Like

I felt obliged to play the track to see if I can hear it in my Naim system and I can. However I’m playing a local file and not Tidal so perhaps that’s why. There is quite a lot if atmospheric sounds in that song

Could this just be a case of slightly different masterings? There must be several major pressings of the album by now…

This afternoon I asked my butler if he could discern this artefact for mojo pin.
He came back later with a very positive response, although he confessed that may have been attributable to polishing the cutlery at the same time.

6 Likes

Possibly so. I’m my response I mentioned a few practical changes the OP might make. Let’s face it, you’re never going to get ultimate detail with £800 speakers and the electronics shoved on a super heavy shelf. Getting detail without the music being pulled apart is not that easy and certainly not cheap.

1 Like

100% agree here. The Kef 500 are the high weak link in OP system. Wondering to power them with a nap 500 is a non sense.
The priority are the speakers first.

1 Like

I read to post 32 and gave up. So forgive me if this has been said.
Firstly HH is spot on the money ref to sn2 vs 82, even though Rick has spent 45 years in the Industry I don’t agree with him. One must remember the new stuff always better than the old stuff when your selling the stuff, even vanilla ice cream has improved or has it?:drooling_face: A good serviced pot8 82 is nothing to be pushed aside, particularly the fact that naim have had a very good product for a very long time.
If it was me I’d use a hiline, Nac 5 and replace the speakers with some Sl2 or sbl. I’d get some oem naim power cables I would get rid of the MDF then get some glass under your boxes. Naim Fraim or mana (I know my naim rant) it’s a big difference really. I just can’t get to grips with MDF under naim, to me it just seems to suck the life out of the music. Obviously a supercap will bring massive benefits.
So in a nut shell go back to the basics. Think you may find some special naim fairy dust that way.
Oh a good olive nap 250 or 135 will help a lot particularly if you go SL2. One of my most impressive Jumps in detail on my 82 was changing from a 180 to some nice 135 amps. See I’ve gone through this as well.

1 Like

Which version off Tidal? I tried 2 of the first 3 that came up on the Naim app (I didn’t bother with the Live version). On my Nova and ancient Yamaha HP1 headphones, I could clearly hear intakes of breath, what I reckon were lip smacks, etc. at that early point in the vocals. Still clearly there although with a different balance on the SCM19s. But I am not sure if I am listening to the same version as the OP.

Not much help for the OP I realise but, if a pretty basic system in the most appalling room with an electrical disaster of a power supply can pick it up, there has to be a simple solution. Given the difference I found between headphones and speakers, maybe experiment with different speakers?

If you can borrow a main noise detector from a dealer, I would test your power main noise, as any noise will obscure the micro detail. Essentially, you need to lower the noise floor to reveal that detail, upping the amp output won’t do it. If the mains are polluted, clean that up. Otherwise moving up to a NDX2 with a power supply will reveal a lot more finer detail with a lower noise floor.

Ok upping the amp you mean power wise?

1 Like

Yes, upping the power amp as the OP said (to a 500) won’t reveal hidden detail. Check there is no mains pollution, then work up through source then pre-amps to lower the noise floor is what I’m suggesting.

Yes I’m with you, bar the fact that the 500 has a power supply which will by default squeezes out as much as it can get from up the line. Which yes good power supply definitely lowers the noise floor no doubt.
We are lucky over here to be able to piggy back our wall plugs into the same socket, not to mention the ring power that the UK has to put up with. It could be very possible that with a correctly executed main spur we may very well have the best sounding naim audio kits on the planet :sunglasses:
If I had a Dr Evil emoji it would be seen now.

FWIW, I just played the track and can hear that “smacking lips” through headphones on a NDX2/XPS DR/SN2/HICAP and a power board filter thingy.

I’ve just listened to two versions of the wonderful Mojo Pin on my Superuniti streamed of Qobuz and Tidal and I can hear the “smacking of lips” etc without much difficulty at a low to mud volume.

Without knowing the older Naim kit, I’m not sure what to suggest but something doesn’t seem right. I’d check power and then demo another pair of speakers.

I would be pretty miffed if I couldn’t here this level of detail out if my system.

Arrrr shock horror you said filter!!!:nauseated_face: