Help nas synology e 24 bit

I have java 8.

Dave

Now it is

With these new parameters I have tried and I have seen that it works well, i.e. I see and read on the ND5xs2 app the right definition (16 and 24 bits and the different sampling speeds). I noticed with perplexity that now the ND5 xs2 also reads me the dsd format from the network NAS. Before with the wd my cloud and Naim Unitiserve it was NOT possible. Well then. Unfortunately last night I caught flu and viruses that makes you put your soul back! This morning I find it difficult to install Minimserver too … In the meantime, if any of you make me understand how it works and what I need to enable, I will read it from your bed … I would like to leave what I have now and that is servermedia. It is a pleasure to be part of this community! In other forums (synology in the first place) nobody answers …

A bit of bedtime reading:
Java 8 Install: (Your 718+ has an intel processor)
https://minimserver.com/install-synology.html#Installing%20Java%20on%20Intel%20models
Minim Install:
https://minimserver.com/install-synology.html

I much prefer it to Synologys own offerings. I have DS Audio installed as well and I do use the transcoding to mp3 for the purposes of having all my music availible on my phone if I’m in the car.

Worth sticking with it. I have been using Synology for about 5 years now and I love the DSM software. I have used Netgear and Thecus ones before and Synology is much better. I have a DS218play at the moment that recently replaced a DS215j. The upgrade was the easiest I have ever done, it was little more than swapping the drives from one NAS to the other, then letting DSM sort itself out and it was all done. Really impressed with how easy it was.

Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

Dave

Thanks, … I will install from the web page of the dsm synology so … First I install the java8 from this page. What I don’t understand not having done yet is what the synology looks like on the naim App and what features I need to flag … :bed::christmas_tree::champagne:

I would also like to ask if I occasionally turn off the nas synology since I am not at home or at work if the latter is ruined or suffering. Could it be a good thing to safeguard disks and save them? Is the best way to turn off the front button or from the web page?

I think you can shedule the NAS to power down at certain times of the day in the setting. It does go into sleep mode when not in use and uses very little power even when in use. I leave mine on 24/7 and I have never had any problems. Modern hard drives are much more robust than older ones, plus propper NAS drives are designed to be on all the time. I have always thought power cycles (turing stuff off and on) can be more damaging than just leaving things on all the time. Paticularly with things designed to run 24/7 such as a NAS.

Minim doesn’t really have any setting to fiddle with, which is actually what you want as you just want the files passed as they are to your hifi.

Dave

Turning off & on causes more disc wear than when its running, but there is a wear balance between off & running. Keep in mind that HDD have many hours estimated before failure, my WD Red’s have a MTBF of 1,000,000, thats over 100 years. You can also set the Synology to hibernate / deep sleep which gives the discs an easier stop & restart.

I turn mine off when I go away for a week or more.
It makes no difference to turn off via the blue button or the web page (GUI)

I tried to suspend but I feel that the fan always runs during the day! Continuously day and night … Create some noise in the silence of the study room!

Have you set the Synology to “quiet mode”? It’s not silent, but it is quieter if you have to share a room with it.

Control Panel - Hardware and Power - Fan Speed Mode

Dave W

Yes of course, but it’s not very silent! I believed that in the suspension everything was silent and instead no! Is synology software with Unitiserve looking for metadata on the internet? …

I wanted to tell you that I deactivated Internet radio on the synology yesterday. It messed me up and it didn’t work very well! I use the internet radio of the Naim app

I have mine set to Low Power Mode, and I can rarely hear it at all. If you are using a more powerful multi-bay NAS, it will likely need to run the cooling fan more often, especially if you are in a warmer climate.
Also, are you sure that it’s the fan you can hear, or is it the disc(s) spinning?

It’s the fan.

You could replace the fan with a quieter one? It’s just a 92mm PC fan, I replaced the fan in my old Netgear NAS years ago and it made it much quieter. My Synology has always lived in a rack in the garage so I have just kept the stock fan as noise isn’t an issue anymore, I have the fan profile set to “cool” which makes it slightly louder (but cooler).

Dave

I run mine in Low Speed & its practically silent, I can just (only just) hear it with my ear about 0.5m away in a silent room.

Plex instead how is it? Is it higher or lower than Minimserver?

Plex is OK, its best & more intended for video, it uses more CPU & RAM than an audio only media server, the sound is the same as others, personally I don’t like its visual presentation & the way it intrudes into other programs,

Thank, :ok_hand:

Andrea, I use Synology’s media server only. No Asset or Minim. It’s good enough for me. Just make sure that transcoding is off. If on, it breaks gapless playback as well.