Help needed with measuring my room with REW

I just bought the MiniDSP Umik 1 microphone and want to measure my room. The wizard of REW assumes I have the speakers connected to my laptop which I haven’t. I want to create a file to USB but I am not sure which settings I should choose and which volume to choose on my set.
I saw post this post from @Simon-in-Suffolk but need some help with making sure I create a correct file and follow the correct steps.

Can someone assist on this please?

hi - a few months since I did this…

However I think I created the noise file as you have above - save to file - you look to have the correct screen above, although perhaps format to 48khz 24 bit if it is there. Also I would go for white noise random - you could optimise later by putting the limits of your preferred speaker response.
The mount that file on a USB drive or other - plug into your streamer and get your streamer to play that usb file. Probably best to make the file duration a few minutes to make things easier.
That way your streamer is playing the sound file from the USB memory stick you have just created

3 Likes

Thanks Simon! Should I set channels to “left and right” or create 2 files for measuring each speaker separately?
Also how to I make sure the volume of my amp is set right for the measurement?

I combined left and right … in a real world room (ie compromised) that is going to best in my opinion… it is just that imaging might be slightly distorted at certain frequencies - but I suspect you wouldn’t / couldn’t notice… if you want perfect stereo field reproduction you really need headphones or a fully treated and symmetrical room with a central listening position.

1 Like

Following.

I’ve got a UMIK1 / MiniDSP in a drawer gathering dust and often wondered what it’d be like on my setup.

The mic is good - but I wouldn’t use the MiniDSP - it is rather a low/basic quality device - not commensurate to the standard of Naim digital audio electronics.

2 Likes

Fully agree. That makes a lot of sense.

Should a play the sound on my amp first and then measure the SPL levels and set the volume to a certain value?

the SPL is not critical in my opinion - play comfortably loud and leave it at that

1 Like

I was thinking this.

Do you have any other recommendations please in case I decide to investigate further ?

others possibly can better than I. In essence you will be creating FIR filter kernel file with Rew (ie a filter response file for an audio filter that works with ‘taps’ - in hifi/audiophile speak people seem to use the word taps rather a lot) … so you need something that can read and process that. I used Roon, but there are other software solutions that can then feed out into an attached quality DAC.

2 Likes

I won’t use the MiniDSP device for room correcting. I only bought the mic for measurement reasons. I will use it mainly for speaker placement and measuring the impact of acoustic treatments.

1 Like

When I want to take a measurement the “noise method” is greyed out.

the noise method is for creating the source file -
to make your measurement don’t you want to hit start- and press from file… but the actual source will be your streamer playing the file -
sorry not sure I fully follow

1 Like

When I want to import the file I created earlier it says it is incorrect. I suspect because the file is noise while the setting for measurement is set at sweep. I can’t click noise though cause it is greyed out.

Maybe I should create a sweep file instead of noise file?

ok - my suggestion was to play the file back from your streamer - or DAC from say a USB memory stick… can you not do that? You will then measure the playback with your microphone.
I can’t remember if you need to let the software think its playing the file as well - but you wouldn’t do anything with the output from that.

1 Like

Can’t you connect your laptop to your streamer via bluetooth? Then you could use REW’s built in sweep.

Otherwise there are several places to download pink noise or sweep files online

1 Like

Maybe I wasn’t clear but I will summarise in a bit more detail.

1. I generated the white noise file and saved it to a USB stick
  2. I put this stick already in my streamer and it can play the file so that part is covered.
  3. I start playing this file on my streamer
  4. When I go to measure button in REW I get the screen as shown in post 12.
  5. I want to choose “Noise” as the method since that is the file I created and is playing. However I can’t choose this option.

If I just press start it plays the “Sweep sound” (which I understand I mute on the computer) but REW should measure the Noise sound that is playing through the streamer and not a Sweep sound. So I want to set REW to measure Noise and not measure Sweep.

Hope this clarifies things.

What I did now is:

1. I generated a Sweep file and saved it to a USB stick (if I want to measure Noise files apparently I need to use the RTA function instead of “measure function”
  2. I put this stick in my streamer
  3. Go to the measure icon in REW (screenshot above), choose from file as playback and pick the generated file
  4. Press start on a muted laptop
  5. Start streaming the file from USB on my naim streamer and let it run
  6. It finished and shows me a graph

Is that the correct procedure @Simon-in-Suffolk ?

1 Like

Apparently this is not as accurate as playing from a USB file. Playing from a USB file is not the issue as my streamer perfectly reads the files I created and copied to a USB stick.