Help needed

Yes much more important - hope all is fine with your 13 yr old.

1 Like

Thanks y’all.

Very unwell 13 year old (multiple arm break and complex surgery to re-break; chisel away and pin/plate) and his mother have spent the morning listening to the Hamilton soundtrack. Both very content with the sound. Mrs. H. is very particular and had sat listening to the whole thing whereas she’d normally walk or say if something is wrong. I’ve been doing stuff and flitting in and out. It’s on the lean side for me but I noticed the dynamics on the tv were back last night, dramatically so, so I suspect I may have simply forgotten what it ought to sound like.

Just listened to an especially high vocal hold from Hamilton and it was expressive but fully controlled. I think we may indeed be back in business.

New sofas due in May so that presents another opportunity for me to kick something and mess it up.

2 Likes

Finally had time to sit and listen. Playing 4 new albums. Sounding absolutely fine. Fairly confident it was largely the Hi-Line.

1 Like

All well with the world. Playing album after album and balance absolutely restored.

1 Like

Great news Mike. Just don’t kick anything…:wink:

Damn right :slight_smile:

New sofas arrive in May though. So, there is scope …

2 Likes

Very annoyed two days ago when the mains tripped twice in a short time and instantly powered down the hi-fi twice in about 5 minutes thanks to an errant 13 year old deciding to crank the toaster up. I feared the worst for sound quality. Myself and Mrs. H. sat there last night both remarking on how it sounded the best it had all year.

Powering down and up now and again is advisable. It seems to get rid of the cobwebs - maybe you can tell I am a techie.

Having read this thread, it is refreshing how someone reached out to the forum and got so much useful advice. And that someone also took the time and trouble to respond to each and everyone who offered help. So often you see one way traffic in these instances.

Glad you seem to have it sorted Mike, and another thumbs up for the forum.

1 Like

New sofas have arrived. Preceded by Mrs. H. actually standing on the A5! Followed by the nice man from John Lewis picking up same and trying to shove it out of the way to accommodate a new sofa. I had to snatch it out of his hand and place it down again.

Looking forward to a very comfortable but bass free evening!

3 Likes

Well, let’s go with bass light, but not extinguished. Would appear that the thinner back and sides on the new sofa have unleashed my right speaker to an extent I’ve not heard before. Like most rooms we’ve always had to live with a combination of compromises but the new sofa has removed one.

Speakers now image way better to quite a shocking extent and the noise level seems to have dropped too. The nature of the new sofas means we’re sat a little further back from the sound but the gain is soundstage and a phenomenal amount of detail. Vocals have recessed slightly but with a huge increase in timbre and emotional communication. I even enjoyed Bono tonight.

Had one of those evenings you have once in a blue moon where it all comes together and myself and Mrs. H. went through a spell of “Let’s try this” with one album after another. I thought she was asleep and about to start snoring. She looked quite grumpy when I poked her. She’d just been lost in the music.

Now, just watch one of my family try and kick the speaker cable under the sofa when they all come to visit on Bank Holiday Monday.

Nice to know things have turned out well after your frustrations of a couple months ago. Enjoy!
I have to ask, are the benefits brought about by the new sofas equivalent to say a ‘box upgrade’… if so we may all have to reconsider our current upgrade strategies :grin:

2 Likes

New sofa’s ordered today too.

We have some on the way too :grin: Hopefully they will have positive impacts too. Yours actually look very similar to ours in fact.

Ah such wit :slight_smile:

You’ll not get me falling into the trap of eulogising something to the extent that it’s the equivalent of a box upgrade or similar. What’s the other phrase? “Night and day!”?

Except in this case…

I bought a new lightbulb for the shade in my listening room recently. The difference was like… (Sorry)

2 Likes

That’s a shame. Offering to buy a new sofa to improve the music experience would have been a much easier ‘sell’ compared to justifying the purchase of another Naim box.

personally, on my sofa, there is no much space between it and the wall. To have a good sound, i have to be in a sitting position.

Three nights in and once again Mrs. H. and the man from John Lewis standing and grabbing the A5 do appear to have triggered a loss of bass. I’ll figure that out and fix it in due course. However, we are both very clear that having a sofa side on to the right speaker which has a back which is around 4 inches lower and arms which are about half the depth of the previous arm has wrought a seriously huge improvement in stereo image/soundstage. Ridiculous amount of detail also but it’s hard to discern whether some of that is new sofa and some of it the loss of bass.

The combination is (yes, I know) easily equivalent to a box upgrade which I guess goes to show there’s much to be addressed before trying to improve things with additional kit. Been in this house 17 years. Had the CDX2 (and previous sofa) longer than that and have never heard the former sound so good.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.