Help - SL2 tweeter failed

Thank you for the fast reply Willy. So sorry I’m a bit slow on the uptake🥺. I take it you were told by the naim dealer to use Hylomar blue for the Job? I can get it over here (NZ)
Cheers mate

Was either the dealer (cymbiosis) or Naim themselves that specified hylomar blue. Few years ago so can’t recall which one.

Regards,

Willy.

1 Like

cThanks Willy, I have just email naim for the exact tweeter Nm bolt torque. I will post that information when I get a reply.
Yes I know Richard best not to touch it at all! but if one was going to change them out best to get the correct information I guess🙃
Or even better take it to your local naim agent and get a guaranteed installation.
Cheers

Ok Willy, just received an email from the mothership. The correct torque setting is 1.2 Nm. If you did set them at 3.6Nm you may be in for a bit of a treat…I see it’s a none harding gasket sealant, should be interesting after 11 years whether it still has its vibration and nonslip properties.

Thank you so much for your input, it really has helped me decide my next step… :hugs::hugs::call_me_hand:

The 1.2Nm number rings a bell somewhere if the deepest recesses of my memory… Don’t have the SL2s any more, sold them to a mate who’s significant other didn’t like the colour. They’re hidden in his attic whilst he figures out how to overcome the cosmetic challenge…

Regards,

Willy.

1 Like

Divorce?

2 Likes

One of the less outrageous suggestions we came up with.

Regards,

Willy.

5 Likes

Omg a set of sl2 sitting in an attic.:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

After inspecting the tweeter mounts. I’m very suspicious that 1.2 Nm is the correct setting as the front tweeter face of the mount where the bolts and washer sit onto is made from plastic! I’ve taken pics and sent back the question. So for if anyone playing with Sl2 tweeter mounts you do at your own peril. Don’t play I’m not.
Best you get your local naim dude to help out no matter how good you think you are.

Are you referring to the front tweeter shroud/surround here?

With the front shroud you want to be very careful and not over-tighten, otherwise you will deform the washers and crack the shroud. I not sure if there’s a specific torque here (certainly I’ve never used one), as it’s not as critical as the torque for securing the drivers - just nip up then tighten maybe a quarter to half a turn each.

Oh, and when you untighten again to re-position the shroud, you may need to push from behind to unstick it, so best to slacken off the bolts and washers quite some way.

1 Like

Is it really plastic? I thought it was mdf.

Hi Dave, I’m talking about this bit with the red circles around it

Ah ok. Sorry; I misinterpreted your post.

That’s what think happen with my email to naim. My bad no doubt.

Ah, OK, I see what you’re referring to now.

IIRC, the SL2 tweeter torque is 0.8Nm and the allen key bit is 3/32.

1 Like

Well thank you Richard. Yes you are very much onto it. A little bit of trail and error on my part today. Because the speakers are 3rd hand some little mouse may of had a play with them in the past. I set my torque wrench to 1Nm and turned to the left to see if indeed 1.2 Nm was correct. To my horror it turn easily. This got me to think “why did I do this” straight away. After checking all bolts I decided that I’m out of my comfort zone but it is what it is. I pulled down both speakers loosened off All tweeter bolts and retighten with right hand holding allen key and fingers on the back nut to the point It began to turn in my fingers . I did all 8 exactly the same then reassembled the speakers. I then had a listen. My goodness what an epiphany. Without any shadow of doubt some naughty person must of had a play in the past. I really was in shock. Detail sound stage and musicality had all been upped. Just cant believe how good these speakers really are finally the envelopes been opened. Thought that happened along time ago lol It turned out really good for me today. To tell you the truth I wouldn’t wanna go through that again.
Just read your post Richard. Thank you I will source A wrench .8 Nm. The 1.2 must be the MDF surround. My bad again😫

1 Like

Well… this thread started with a failed tweeter. After delivery within days of order of matched tweeter to find one of them damaged in transit from Salisbury, add holidays, both mine and engineers at Salisbury; fast track to today, 31 August at 2pm; local Naim dealer been to my home and installed both tweeters. Children out, wife bingeing on Netflix upstairs. Just me, the dogs, a glass of remy martin and music collection - started with Diana Krall - turn up the quiet. Can’t complain.

3 Likes

Assuming the tweeters were packed properly how do the delivery companies break things? :confused:

Quite - those Scanspeak tweeters are as tough as a pair of V12 work boots…

Beats me too!! Apparently they did.