Help Trouble Shooting a Hum

Daren - You mentioned in your first post that you’d got your kit setup in a dedicated room. Is this a new installation or did you have the kit located elsewhere with no hum issues before ? If so, apart from the location, anything else different in the setup ?

I guess you could basically call it a new setup, because previously the kit was setup at a family members house (waiting for the dedicated space/reno’s to be finished). The 282/SCDR/250DR I previously had was hum free. I swapped to the 252 about a year ago (purchased from a dealer, was just back from a factory checkup & came with new leads/still factory sealed), I never noticed any hum with that combo. I then added a new 300DR last fall but I couldn’t honestly say if there was any hum at that point because I would basically plug the kit in & let it warm up for a few hours while visiting, then listen for a few hours & then unplug again when I was done. I got the 300DR just before I moved everything, so its use before the move was only for a few hours.

The SCDR is the same one I’ve always had but the 250DR only required one output from the SC. I can’t be 100% sure but I would imagine it was always plugged into output 5 on the SC, so the hum probably didn’t show up until I swapped to the 300DR, that now needs to use two outputs from the SC.

Other than having a look internally for anything obvious, I can’t really suggest much more while remaining on the right side of the forum rules!
But everything points towards an issue with the Supercap - very intriguing.

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

Bringing this one back was wondering if @Richard.Dane could help me out, I have a couple more questions I’d like to ask @NeilS directly & was wondering if you could provide his direct contact info/email or provide mine to him? I tried to contact him directly via Naim but they weren’t able to locate him :upside_down_face:

You can ask Neil here (note though that he visits here on his own time and not in any “official” capacity) or direct your enquiry via email to support@naimaudio.com for the attention of Naim service dept.

Thanks Richard, but the reason I’m looking to contact him directly is he has already mentioned he can’t provide this info on the forums. As mentioned, I have already tried to contact Naim directly via email & they weren’t able to help me locate Neil in the service department, which is why I’m hoping you can help me out.

Unless they’ve moved around again, the customer support team literally sit in the service department.

maybe “Neil” is just his forum pseudonym, and the rest of the service department don’t know his naim.

This is probably the case, they said employees often don’t use their actual name, they were trying to track down who Neil S was but haven’t had any luck as of yet.

I’m just (perhaps too) wary of overstepping the mark with regards to this area of the forum rules:
“We do not permit discussion of modifications to internal components of Naim equipment and this also extends, at the Moderators’ discretion, to products from other manufacturers and electronic DIY discussion.”

Have you discovered anything further with your troubleshooting?

Regards
Neil.

They have! :grinning:

Completely understandable, which is why I was trying to discretely contact you directly, which seems to have failed :grinning:

I haven’t gone any further with the trouble shooting, as the SCDR is at the bottom of one of the Fraim stacks, I didn’t want to have to pull it multiple times, so was wanting to do any potential checks I can, all at the same time.

So I’m still wondering if I can contact you directly & what would be the best way of going about this?
I still have the name/email of the person I was in contact with at the factory for technical support but didn’t know if I should be posting his info on here.

1 Like

Did you get a ticket number when you contacted the factory?

Looks like it was 162952

Ok - leave it with me.

I’m not too familiar with the system, but I think I can contact you via that platform.

Regards
Neil.

Thanks Neil, much appreciated.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.