Help with a radial!

Hi Dunc,

Thanks a million, I will call Russ Andrews and ask, thank you. Oh I will run a second supply past the sparky, fingers crossed.

Regards

@neil67

Not sure of the model number of the CU. It is a Hager six way unit that he recommended. He will also be using Hager switchgear and I will need one Main Switch and three RCBOs.

As it’s being done next Thursday, I’ll post the model references and some photos.

Hi DG,

Fantastic! thanks ever so much for that, I will look out for your post

Regards

May be worth checking what type of 10m2/6m2 cable is being run. There are comments that armoured cable may be preferable as it effectively shields the cables? I run 6m2 armoured cable to a set of MK sockets and the system, compared to the standard ring main, sounds truly fantastic.

Hi Neil.

The requirements of the 18th Edition of the Wiring Regulations and The Building Regulations will determine what components/materials are installed, so that the electrician can issue you with a Minor Works test and completion certificate. Unfortunately SQ will have to come second.

Kind regards

Roger.

Hi Roger,

Thats a damn shame however I guess there is no questioning the current regulations. I thank you for your informative reply though, thanks again Roger.

Neil

Hi Neil - I don’t think current regulations will give you much of an issue with getting your radial installed or affect the SQ of the final install. Your electrician should be able to understand what you require and then do the install, meeting any specific requirements and ratings for your particular installation. They will also choose the most suitable items for the job too but you’ve already made a good start putting in the 10mm2 T&E cable and MK socket ready for the CU end to be completed.

When i had my dedicated supply installed, it was just before the 18th regs came in so i was still able to have a non RCD protected install (subject to certain criteria being met - surface install of cables, labelling of sockets etc) and my electrician was able to go away and check the regs at the time to make sure this could be done in a domestic installation. I’m sure there was little if no difference between the ‘sound’ of a isolator switch or an RCD , but as i didn’t need to have the RCD in my installation i went without.

A good electrician is worth his/her weight in gold for something like this as most will look at the requirements and suggest it’s overkill for the intended application or want to do the job as they would always do it to keep things simple. You’re paying the money and they are doing the installation and as long as it’s safe and compliant with the latest regs then all is good.

I’m sure you’ll find the effort to get this done will be worthwhile. For me, the SQ uplift and the consistent performance of the system, independent of anything else going on in the house, has been very worthwhile.

Electricians do vary a lot in their approach to what many of them will regard as a pointlessly overspecced installation that doesn’t comply with the most simplistic interpretation of the regs. Finding the right electrician is key, and I would avoid using one who only reluctantly agrees to do it.

2 Likes

The wok has been done and some photos showing the install and the components

Posted on another thread…

Update so far…

Letting it settle down again, as the system has been in bits for a couple of weeks. Playing JazzFM on the internet radio adapter when I’m not listening as such and overnight on a low level to help it bed in.

But so far, the system does seem to have more depth and bass .

Trying all the sources to see if all is OK. The new Internet Radio Adapter is working well, even the Bluetooth side is working on this one, which never did on my previous one. Been playing Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers on the LP12. Now playing Dire Straits on the CD5 XS to test the HDCD element of that.

Have connected up the new TV to the 282, but had to get a small DAC for that, as TVs now don’t appear to have a headphone socket anymore, only Optical / Digital outputs. What is the world coming too…:roll_eyes:

Having the RCBOs changed next week. Turned out that they fitted Type B Curve, whereas the spec was for Type C Curve. Found out when that circuit tripped immediately when I switched on the second 250DR. (Funny though, never tripped before when the system was all on a single plug on the standard radial circuit. That was also a Type B Curve).

Very impressed with the level of workmanship from the Electrician. Very neat and tidy, even caulked round all the trunking to make it even tidier.

Will let you know how it’s developing…

Hi DG,

Thats great news for you and Im sure your very pleased with it all.

I have just had the electrician over to install my radial, Hager 2 way CU and a 32A RCBO with C type curve, all connected with 10mm2 T&E. I am still living in a bit of aa mess at the moment with all wooden flooring being laid throughout the ground floor, will be a week or so before I can unpack all my black boxes and Sondek however I can’t wait to re build my system and listen especially now moving from carpeted floors to wooden never mind the new radial!! mmmmm Due to moving the location of my system to the side as apposed to the middle of the speakers I am unable right now to splash out on the extra few metres of Chord Signature XL so have just purchased an 8m pair of Naim A5, be interesting …

I have to thank you for sharing your radial components with the forum as I really did not know were to start with hardware.

Will keep you posted

Neil

1 Like

Interesting that you mention moving away from carpets. Might that not cause extra echo and sound bouncing off the floor, or will you be adding a rug?

Yer I have already laid a large rug but I think I will need some more damping in some form or other possibly curtains! maybe even a couple of fabric chairs instead of leather. I need to work on that one.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.