Help with a Unitiserver T2

My work pc is a Surface Pro no CD drive and my personal macs drive is cactus.

Can you get a NAS that will store and feed WAV files?

You can store WAV happily in the nas. The issue is that when the Serve rips, the metadata is not embedded. So when you move it elsewhere everything goes haywire. You’d probably need to get the Serve to convert to flac to embed the metadata and then convert back to WAV using dbpoweramp. But there is nothing special about having the files in WAV. Transcoded flac sounds just the same, the files are smaller and the metadata is easier to handle.

There is no problem with the Core offering WAV files to a Naim streamer. The problem comes if having used the Core to rip CDs to WAV, then you try to use those same rips in a non-Naim server like a NAS with Asset or Melco because only a Naim server can read the metadata info that Naim stores in a file alongside each album rip. So you would probably have to repair the metadata on such rips with a software programme for the NAS to be usable with Asset or whatever upnp server software.

If you transfer WAV rips into the downloads folder of the Core, it should all work fine. You can tweak the metadata in the downloads folder with any commercial software if you want to. With CD rips from a Naim server that are in the music folder of a Core, you have to use the Naim app to modify the metadata, although you can also copy a rip across to the download folder and delete the original in the music folder using the Naim app. Then you can modify the data of the transferred rip however you like.

The Core offers music that if finds in either folder and in any other music share you have defined so that it all appears seamlessly together in the Naim app.

Best

David

Hi @Pete_the_painter, don’t know if this applies, remember Naim extended warranty has changed to 5 years parts and labour.
Also would recommend the Innuos Zen as alternative to the UnitiServe, that’s what I moved on to, can use as Roon server as well.

Yes I was looking at the Innuos Zen as another option. And cheers re the extended warranty I’ll remind my dealer tomorrow, think I’ve only had it about 4 years.

God I’m not looking forward to repairing thousands of files, it’s so time consuming.

I don’t think it covers CD drives and hard drives though.

If I did buy a Core, my rips could be dragged across from the Unitiserve but they’d all end up in the download file.

I’m not aware of any exclusions, you may have additional knowledge, certainly nothing I have seen published to this effect. Also the dreaded flashing green light can mean a number of things, in my case it was a BIOS battery requiring replacement.

No they shouldn’t end up in downloads. Mine for example, on the two times I did it, ended up properly in the music folder except for the downloads that correctly ended up in the downloads folder. And user edits on the Unitiserve are respected on the Core. (This wasn’t the case at launch but it was fixed by a firmware update a couple of years ago.)

But it’s much easier to import from a Unitiserve on the same network than if you try to restore from a NAS.

Best

David

1 Like

I stand corrected, thanks for the additional info

HH is spot on - my Serve’s CD drive is playing up (discs have to be ‘assisted’ into the drive!) and my dealer has quoted me £338 for drive replacement, service and return carriage. I don’t think that’s too bad, but as I rip relatively few discs now I’m leaving it for the moment - Serve is functioning perfectly as a server (until the HD fails!). For info, my US is just over 4 years old.

Innuos zen is a one box nas / ripper like the core or unitserve. Have you thought about innuos?

Didn’t fill out a registration card. I’ve never had to, my dealer has always looked after me and I’ve never had any issues till this.

Yes, I will investigate. Cheers.

1 Like

Hi Pete,

Do you mean that the unit stalled mid-rip?
If so, it sounds to me like the slimline SATA cable for the optical drive has failed/become intermittent/dislodged, meaning that the optical drive has disappeared from the operating system.
The services that run on the operating system require the optical drive to be present for a successful boot.
Just a guess of course!

If you can connect a VGA monitor, if my hunch is correct you will see it stuck on the Naim disc splash screen. Or, a checksum error at the POST screen would suggest a failed CMOS battery.

The emergency pinhole eject button works using a ratchet mechanism, so you may need to “pump” it with a straightened paperclip. You don’t need power to do it.

Regards
Neil.

All fixed at no cost, some setting had changed and a battery was flat.

So happy days just ripped some CDs and now listening to Neil Young new album.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.