Help with going active with Ovator S-600

Why not just put the speakers on pieces of wood or stone like marble or granite?
Makes it easy to move the speakers around

1 Like

Hi yes im making 18mm mdf plates to slide them on .
Another question , does anyone know what the impedance of the two bass drivers drop to minimum when driving in parallel ie with one amp on Bass duty.

@Keltik I bought my S600s pasive then later bought the bases to go active. The internal wiring from the drivers was long enough to reach the three new sockets at the rear of the new base. Mark Raggett from Naim and my dealer visited me at home to effect the change over which was very simple but requires a high power soldering iron. I asked Mark to cut the wires as close as possible to the passive PCB to leave enough wire in case I later reverted them back to pasive.

I use mine with 2 Naim Y connectors on 2 x 300DR one amp on treble and the other feeding both bass drivers via the Y connectors.

The difference between active and passive is huge and brings a level of clarity, detail and involvement which sounds just right.

3 Likes

My dealer put together a system so that I can use 4x135s. I did not query it. What was Naim’s rationale for the Y connections? Would you mind posting a picture of them please?

Here’s a not very good snap of my connection. The hole in the wall is for speaker cable if I every buy another pair of 135s or a 250.

I will be running 3 runs of cable to each speaker from the off (becuase i have it) my “Y” so to speak will be at the bass amplifier.Easily split if and when the 3rd amplifier joins .

The Naim Y connection is just a neat way of bringing one run of cable in then having two short tails going out each fitted with a 2 pin plug very similar to what you appear to have feeding yours. This just conects the two bass drivers in paralell. I wil post a pic tomorrow.

Your 4 x 135s will be arranged along the following lines:-
Amp 1 left tweeter
Amp 2 both left bass drivers
Amp 3 right tweeter
Amp 4 both right bass drivers

1 Like

Thanks - very informative. I wish I had paid attention when they were installed.

Hi David, slow on the uptake I’ve just realised you were the topic starter. Interested as to why you bought another pair of S600s after selling your Zebranos to me.

Hi Gerry ,i didnt dwell as everyone deserves their privacy if they wish it .
Yes my system comprises active linn isobariks( still have and wont part with them and all the gubbins to drive active)
We are working through our new house refurbishing and Linda said i wish we had modern looking speakers rather than these hideous boxes when we do this room up…So being an active fan and up for a challenge and a pair of S600 becoming available ,did i say being up for a challenge …went for it .
At this stage im still keepibg the faith .
Ive invested into BMR snaxo so no going back now .

@Camphuw, Here is a pic of the Naim Y connectors which are soldered directly to the bass cable end. They do have a specific part number but unfortunately the box they came in is in the loft and I would vaporise if I venture up there today.

4 Likes

I hope they work for you. After they are settled in do consider isolation for them, this was a significant advance in my room.

Very neat ,not often i see something never seen before

That is a very elegant solution. Thanks for the photo.

1 Like

@Keltik I had a trawl through some pics and found these taken during my passive to active conversion by Mark R. of Naim. Hope this does not break the forum rules.

The picture below shows the wiring from the drivers exiting the bottom of the enclosure and heading to the passive PCB - they are very clearly marked BMR, LF1 and LF2.

The next picture shows where the wires feeding the drivers were cut close to the passive PCB.

The last picture shows the driver wires now soldered to the three sockets on the new active base board - all very simple really.

1 Like

Good find
Can naim supply the extra sockets for this conversion or are you going to use a generic speaker connection

I believe the Naim sockets and plugs were specially developed for the Ovator range and are of a floaty loose fit with the mating parts of the plugs and sockets having a silver plating. Worth checking out the S600 white paper.

Yes they are different plugs to the standard rectangular ones. Tom Tom Audio still sell them. I’m sure others do as well.

The original Ovator plug and socket could be reused on the treble and additional high quality ones added for the bass. Two plugs and sockets would only be needed on the bass if three amps were likely to be used as the drivers could be paralleled internally.

Thanks again for the pictures everything so much clearer.
I hope i dont break rules here but in the likely event that the parts required are not available ,a work around has to be found .
Who says plugs and sockets need to be used at the speaker end . :wink:

Robbie at RRHifi Montrose kindly did the investigatory work on availability at factory for me ,and no parts to go active as originally designed are available .

2 Likes