Help with harsh Tannoy and Olive Naim system

Hello naim community, I have a question about my current Hi-Fi set up. The issue I have is that the sound I am getting from my system is really harsh. I get a fantastic bass response and it sounds great for the most part but some of the highs are just unbearable. I suspect the issue may be my speakers but a second opinion would be help-full. My system is a nac82 with a super cap and a nap250 olive with tannoy d700s speakers.

There is a decent hificritic review of D700s that uses a NAP250. It highlights how sensitive they are to position - in the reviewer’s room they ended up with 2 feet of space behind them and with the lines drawn from the tweeters crossing in front of the listeners’ ears by a similar distance.

Before considering spending money, is it possible that you can fix the problem by moving things around a bit?

Finally, are you using Naim A5 speaker cable or something that may not suit the 250 quite as well?

2 Likes

Thank you nick for your response. I had silver cables which I switched for the naim a5 but that was not the issue. I’ll try positioning the speakers as that may well be the issue.

What is your source?
David

1 Like

Has your system always had this characteristic?

1 Like

When optimally set up neither the 250 nor the D700 are harsh by nature. Look for the problem in your source, or set-up faults like bad cable connections, dirty plugs, overly resonant support structures, excess toe-in etc. The one thing that can make a 250 sound off is a non OEM fuse, so make sure you have a standard Naim fuse installed.

2 Likes

Funny

1 Like

I don’t know about sound here, but using anything other than the correctly specified fuse is potentially extremely dangerous. It’s there to protect you should there be a catastrophic failure. I’m told that one of the tests done to see how well (or not) the fuse works is to saw the transformer in two while it’s powered up. Without the right fuse things can get fiery very quickly indeed. In short, stick to the correct fuse specified by the manufacturer - always.

2 Likes

I doubt that’s what Blackmore meant. I suspect he meant that there’s an audible difference in the sound from a 250 if you fit a correct spec fuse, just not an OEM fuse.

Many would disagree.

1 Like

The correct spec fuse here is the same one fitted by the manufacturer.

1 Like

Back on topic, and relevant:

OP, has the equipment been serviced in the last few years?

1 Like

Regarding fuses, I’m talking from my experience of blowing a fuse at switch-on, which I replaced with the same value fuse I had in my garage, only to spend the next couple of weeks wondering why my system wasn’t sounding its usual self. Given that all I’d replaced was the fuse I obtained some standard fuses from my Naim dealer and the proper OEM fuse returned my unit to normal service. That was my first ever experience with non-standard fuses (of the correct value) changing SQ.

1 Like

I have an iPad which outputs to a dac.

Yes. I will try out the suggestions given though. They seem very promising.

1 Like

my nac 82 has been serviced recently but my super cap and nap 250 are due a service.

Thanks for the response

100% naim equipment so that shouldn’t be the issue. Thanks for the response.

Sadly yes. When I upgraded from a nap 140 to a 250 the issue persisted. I am starting to think that positioning the speakers and getting more suitable cables may do the trick. Thanks for the response.

1 Like

First try the suggestions given here. Secondly, look in to the source, it might be an issue. Which Dac is it and have you heard it in an, as revealing system as yours, sounding not harsh?

1 Like

A NAP250 is a regulated amplifier and so really does need to be serviced every 8-10 years. As components go out of spec then performance can go “off” fast. This can manifest itself in many ways, and harshness is certainly one of them. How long since it was last serviced, and was it done by Naim or an approved Naim servicer?

4 Likes

Nap 250 probably requires service. Harshness is one symptom of needing a recap. Ten years is pushing the envelope…

2 Likes