Help with speakers

I need some help with speakers, I have the Linn Sara Isobarik (XLR type) 1988 version and was looking at changing them for a pair of Naim Ariva. Would I get any improvements. I have a 72/180/hicap, cd3.5/flatcap and a Linn LP12/Lingo. I play different types of music, but do like playing The Prodigy type stuff as well. Thanks in advance for any help. The room is 3.5 meters square ish.

I’ve not heard the Ariva’s but they were an entry level speaker with not much love shown towards them so I would not expect to be at the level of the Sara.

One memory that sticks in my mind of all the systems I have heard is hearing Linn Sara’s driven actively at a Hifi show. Still one of the most musical systems I have ever heard. It would have been fronted by an LP12/Ittock/Karma (or Troika).

Sara’s love a good amp. If the Sara’s still function well I’d look at changing the power-amp to a 250 or 135’s instead and keep the Saras

2 Likes

I haven’t heard Saras.

I bought a pair of Arivas new and kept them for about 15 years.

They have 3 drivers - bass drivers near the floor - and the mids and tweeters up higher, and that gave a good sense that the sound was not coming from a point source.

If you can try them and return them, it may be worth a try.

1 Like

I would keep the Sara’s ( had them many years ago and loved them ) but go for the 250 amp , they like quite a bit of power . From memory I had the 250 with them

Good luck

1 Like

Ariva’s are quite rare, if you have a pair offered, I’d get them, maybe keep the Sara’s if possible.
Best to try home over a period.

1 Like

For around the same sort of purchase price (pre-loved) as Arivas you may also want to consider some Allae speakers. Really good examples at keen prices can emerge every so often on a well known auction site. Probably more room friendly too.

1 Like

The Saras are wonderful speakers. That said I wouldn’t use them without a 250 or 135s. I suspect that if you’ve only heard them with a 180 they you haven’t heard what they are capable of.

Personally, I wouldn’t touch the Arivas with a barge pole. The suggestion of Allaes is well worth considering, particularly if changing to a 250 isn’t possible.

1 Like

The Arivas wouldn’t want you to touch them, not even with a bargepole.

As your experience of Arivas is ‘maybe heard them in a shop 20 years ago’, your venom for Arivas is frankly a bit strange.

1 Like

Sorry, I wasn’t aware that I needed to check with you before posting. The Arivas are ok as an entry level speaker, but as an improvement on the Linn Sara? No.

1 Like

I believe Ariva’s will be happy with OP’s 72/180/hc, bargepole or not.
Entrylevel can often be very good.
I believe Proac Tablette 10 is entrylevel in Proac current range, nothing negative in that.

4 Likes

I love Saras but gawd knows how many still sound OK these days. All the ones I have heard in recent years have been a disappointment compared to earlier memory. I’m told that quite apart from general deterioration of drivers, crossover etc…, the sealing goes and it’s critical with the Sara. It’s expensive to put right properly. I think if the Saras are in tip top shape and still sounding great then I’d keep them and not be considering Arivas. However, if not, then perhaps look to getting them properly repaired or else change to something else.

Arivas are great fun and, apart from the odd one where the heavy crossover had broken away inside the cabinet, they’re pretty much foolproof. They’re not hugely revealing though, but their faults are mostly pretty benign and they serve the spirit of most music well.

2 Likes

Thank you everyone for your help, the Saras are in great shape and drivers are pristine looking. I have never any issues with them, just felt something was missing. So I guess I am off to get a nap250 to get the missing link. Thanks again for the help.

1 Like

Maybe a refresh of your LP12 or cartridge, setup ?

1 Like

Good decision. It will be like having a better pair of speakers and you’ll really hear what they can do.

1 Like

Good decision.
Saras with a 32/250 sounded wonderful ( I could only afford Kans back then, but boy did I lust after Saras).

A friend awhile ago bought Saras…I think in good condition. Whatever (non Naim) amp he was using just didn’t seem to work with them and he sold them on. I almost wish I’d bought them to be able to try them now.

1 Like

I have had Linn Saras and frankly there still great
I am not sure your going to get the punch the Sara’s have. Plus they play music don’t get me
wrong the Naims aren’t bad. If your looking for
absolute perfection look at Tocaros. Just understand there not colored there actually musical instruments. The old Linn saying Garbage
In Garbage out really fits the Tocaros . Good hunting

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.