Here we go its vinyl time

Here is pictures of mine, model from 2002.

3 Likes

My god its massive compared to the p10, your picture showing the naim certainly highlights its size, didnt realize it was that big.

More weighter and taller, but not really bigger.
The granite platform was really a big uplift too for the SME.

I fret about mine and it’s 1/10th of that!

I will never forget my lad, he must have been about 5, i had a rotel turntable back then into my naim 90 system, anyway he decided to do some scratching with it one day, no record, just on the mat, can’t remember what cartridge it was, but it was obviously destroyed along with the mat, luckily with covid he can’t come round this weekend or next week, so hopefully i will be fine

It was the height that hit me, it will certainly take over the right hand rack

1 Like

Just been reading about the cartridge, its fine they have a special life long rebuild on them.
Just over ÂŁ3k for a rebuild, makes me feel much more confident knowing that lol.

My Apheta 3 is in being rebuilt and that’s enough of a hit to my wallet!
Don’t know what happened but went to play a record and found a 45 degree bend in the cantilever :unamused: I must have caught it when dusting or something, didn’t notice doing it though.

Take a deep breath every time you go near, relax (if possible?) and pay attention.

Good luck, I hope you enjoy it.

Recently, when I decided to ditch my LP12, I ended up going all in on a Kuzma Stabi XL DC, their top of the line model. But all of their TT’s are very good and might be worthy of consideration. I could not possibly be happier with mine.

7 Likes

@Dunc do you have a record cleaning machine?

Yes I have a new project one, only a few months old and the large version, very happy with it.

1 Like

Excellent, there seems little point investing in a serious turntable without one.

My mate has an SME 20A, a wonderful deck, very much as @frenchrooster describes above, just a good neutral sounding deck that would seem to convey exactly what’s on the recording, it was spectacularly good into the 52 135 setup he used to have, since then he has migrated to valves and I don’t like it as much although he loves it still (turned out good for me as I bought his old Naim setup at a bargain price 12 months after a service)

I’m really looking forward to hearing how you get on with it :+1:

@Dunc this is a really good move as, whatever praise is heaped on the Rega TTs on here (and I have one) they are not in the same league as the top SME decks. With a full 500 series set up (as you have) it makes perfect sense to upgrade to a vinyl source at a similar level to your DCS digital source. As you say, with the Rega, you’ll end up hardly listening to vinyl which would be a shame. With the SME I’m sure it will be 50/50 use. Look forward to hearing how the demo goes :+1:t2:

I am glad to read that thread. It reminds me how I was exited waiting the delivery of my past SME 20. I got it ex demo at a good price, but it was for me already very serious money.
The engineering of SME decks is awesome. The SME V is a marvel to watch. The clamp system is so clever, you can even listen to warped records, they will be quite flat.
I enjoyed it during 15 years and was looking at it with respect every day.
The Rega is quicker to use, no need to power off the ps, clamp the record, power on again. You leave it turning and you change quickly the lp.
But I quite never look at it, the look of the Rega is so common to my eyes.
But for my jazz rock lps from the 70’s, the Rega gives me more satisfaction. The sound is more exiting.
For voices, smooth jazz, jazz trio…the SME is a marvel.

2 Likes

@Dunc SME TTs are seriously good along with Roksan/Vertere and Avid they are my preference, they are engineering masterpieces. At the Bristol show a few years ago David from Kudos was using a SME with a 552/500 with their speakers, it was a just brilliant sound. If I ever changed my Xerxes one of the SMEs would be right up there.

Look forward to hearing all about it!

Regards,

Lindsay

1 Like

I am hoping it’s a large step up in performance, looking at the sme decks, I like the look of the 15 better than the others.
Also the much cheaper 309 arm looks OK, but I do wonder what you are giving up, going to this deck and arm?
Such a shame that we can’t demo them yet, as bringing a few of these home is a no go

I loved my P9/Atheta/IOS (And Isis CDP) with the 252/300 system but found both lacking when I went to the 500 series. I don’t what it was but both Rega’s just didn’t engage like they had done before meaning I ended up upgrading both front ends to a CD555 & LP12. I guess it was just about restoring the system balance again.

2 Likes

I had the P9 a long time ago. The SME 20 replaced it and it was a shock for me, a different word. I have now the Rega again, the Rp10. It’s a big step vs the P9, really.

1 Like

What made you go back to the Rega? Never heard an SME but always thought they looked cool especially with the SME V arm.

Essentially a need for cash. I was not working during one year.
The other reason is to have a more simple deck, quicker to change lps, and also with a different sound signature vs the SME.
As some discussions already made in other threads, better is not forcefully better. I know the DCS Rossini for example is better vs the Nds, but I prefer the type of presentation of the Naim.
The SME 20 is better vs the Rega too. No doubt for that. But for 70’s jazz rock albums and soul funk, I prefer the Rega.
If I had the cash, I would be glad to buy a better deck. But would go more for Technics SP10 r or Vertere SG1 or MG1.

2 Likes