Hesitancy and anxiety

No time left for either. Just beaten a nasty cancer.I try my best with technology.Have the new streamer,run the tv from apps and just about to buy a new iPad Pro for my photography.
My only anxiety … I formulate a sentence in my brain but by the time it gets to my mouth I have lost some of the words.I think I know where that is going. But I shan’t worry about it.
Enjoy what you have it will fade soon enough.
Nick @ 80

17 Likes

If I am understanding correctly, you backed off buying a streamer, each time going for something else, concluding it was anxiety over the new technology that caused you to take a different path each time.

Only you can overcome that hurdle - but it starts by deciding if you truly want to adopt it. There is nothing wrong with remaining with other sources, however streaming offers a variety of benefits, including the possibility if you wish of moving entirely to it, losing all your CDs saving space, choosing music from your armchair, no breaks in the middle of double albums, no track skipping with imperfect disks nor error correction interpolation, no drive deterioration and replacement, and potential higher sound quality downloading higher resolution.

I changed to streaming (of my own stored music, ripped fron CDs & LPs, plus downloaded files, at age 60. I had no trouble - but then I’m a bit of a technophile. From that point I never looked back - and once I discovered the Chord DACs I found higher quality, more natural sounding music than I have ever heard from CD or Vinyl (though CD through the same DACs probably would sound virtually identical).

It seems to me that you first have to decide if you truly want to try streaming. If not then no problem, carry on as you are, nothing lost. But if you do want to, then take the plunge: something like the ND5XS would give you an easy to use decent sounding introduction, and you can always improve if you find it is the thing for you. If you buy secondhand at first, you can move it on for negligible loss if you decide its not for you. For music just start ripping some CDs: no cost, and only takes a few minutes of effort for each.

1 Like

I think the most important factor in enjoying trouble free, unfrustrating streaming, is to not use wireless streaming.
Get the steamer connected to the internet with an Ethernet cable. Once this is done you won’t look back. A flaky wireless connection on the other hand , is not good at all.
Best of luck. I speak from experience.

2 Likes

Well said, Hugh. My experience also.
One is far better off with a decent 100 foot Cat 7 or 8 ethernet cable, than even a strong WiFi connection. All my streaming sources improved immensely as soon as I connected to my ethernet switch with 50 foot Cat 7.

And no, I’m not stalking you … Lol.

Dave

1 Like

Life is short. Enjoy it. I speak from experience.

4 Likes

Hesitancy may be more of an instinct that your heart is telling you that you don’t really want or need said streamer. In which case, accept that.

Anxiety is more likely a form of mild depression, which unfortunately is becoming the norm in current times and I expect the case here, as it’s not just with the streamer as such. In which case, accept that as well, but pull out the tool kit: healthy food, exercise, getting outdoors, enjoying hobbies like music etc.

I’d echo what @Gazza said about the experience with his neighbour. I’ve had 5 work colleagues die in the last year, 2 younger than me, 2 my age more or less (I’m 54) and a well regarded close client who died at 64, 2 months before drawing his pension. The later was melanoma, diagnosed too late, and just after I had the same diagnosis (hopefully cleared with surgeries on face, though I am still handsome, like a Pirate). Them Mrs Mike diagnosed with cancer just as we went into a full lockdown. Priorities are then reassessed, and a new balance has to be found with one’s life.

But hey, the streamers are very nice and will be a nice distraction if you need more joy form material things in life.

5 Likes

Stay strong @Nick1940, a humbling post, good not to worry and find peace where you are.

1 Like

I also try to live by the “life is short” ethos (a quick look in our garage or ski store might confirm that) but it’s also exactly what has put me off streaming - life is too short for so much faff when I’m extremely happy with my CD player (though it’s due service and repair).

I put a foot into the streaming world some time ago and it was a very frustrating and unsatisfactory experience. When streaming reaches a level of maturity where I can be confident it will just work as it should, without having to rewire the house, I will do my research into the most appropriate system for my needs at that time and take the plunge, without hesitation. Until then, I shall remain on the periphery and watch with bemusement, the extraordinary lengths people go in the name of “convenience”, but also with gratitude that they are blazing the trail so I don’t have to :joy:

2 Likes

This is not so unusual. I assume like many of us you have had many twists and turns to end up with a system you are reasonably happy with? … and I assume you take great pleasure from listening and enjoying it? If so, especially if coupled with other uncertainties that are currently prevalent for many of us, you might simply feel you don’t want to upset it, and break one area of certainty and satisfaction you currently have.
To me this is entirely normal.
There will come a point perhaps some time, where curiosity might get the better and you try something new out… but then again you might not. If it gives you pleasure and satisfaction why change it… ignore the jungle drum beat of the salesman and marketeers… do you really want that streamer? Or is it a thought that has been planted in you of ‘being left behind’? If so banish that thought… and take satisfaction and enjoyment with what you have.

6 Likes

Amen to accepting and finding peace where you are.
For diferent reasons I lost my brain to mouth memory some while ago and if asked my childrens names would have to think of them in order of birth to remember them. I think it may be that, that is the way the brain normally works but it had just slowed down to a crawl with me. The ability came back with time, but acceptance of a reduced capacity was the key to rebuilding rather than becoming frustrated or anxious.
Good luck with it all.

4 Likes

@igahman And don’t forget there are other streamers that are simpler and almost plug and play with very little experience needed.

2 Likes

Don’t worry! This has happened to me, x years ago I went to the dealer to buy an nDac and walked out with a turntable and more recently I went in to buy a ND5XS2 or NDX2 and walked out with a…turntable!

I’d suggest having a dabble with something cheaper and easy and then go in guns blazing.

2 Likes

I agree with all of this - there’s no need to go streaming.

But for me it has made a huge difference to my discovery of music - which I could never had achieved via CDs or vinyl or tapes.

Because now I have the entire ocean of almost all music right there at the click of my finger.

So I tried and discovered many wonderful corners of jazz that I’d never got round to buying - esp. Miles Davis from 1968 to '75 - and the whole of ECM - and EST and GoGo Penguin - and Szun Waves - and Robocop Quartet - and Brad Mehldau…

So I could now never go back to CDs as I’m commited to getting the best SQ I can from a single source…

4 Likes

Yes it’s much more than buying a streamer. For example we recently planned a day at the seaside, looked forward to it but when the day arrived I started with what ifs.
It’s 100 miles and about half way there was a diversion and I got lost. I started to feel more and more ill. By the time I reached the destination I was told I looked terrible, I felt sick and just wanted to go to sleep. I was encouraged to drink some coffee and have something to eat. After a wobbly start I walked on the prom, took in the sea air and became much better. The rest of the day went brilliantly.
The point there is I encountered a minor problem and I couldn’t cope. And that’s probably why I struggle to buy something that I am unfamiliar with even though I want it.
I would like to hear from anyone who is experiencing the same anxieties over everyday things.

2 Likes

OK. This is not about a streamer in any way.

I was a counsellor until I came out to France. See a GP and get on a list to see a counsellor.

If financially possible see a counsellor privately. Start a conversation with a professional now, and stop this developing further.

5 Likes

Very good advice, here. Deal with the Anxiety, first. The HiFi will wait for you…

2 Likes

I think I recognise the cause. Probably aging and current events. I am old school and I believe I will sort this out. 90% of the time I can treat it with humour. Just that last fraction of dark to deal with. I realise I am not unique and as we have already heard there are members who are struggling far more than me . This community is a great help to many I think.

4 Likes

I came across a quote from Jung recently: ‘anxiety is fear spread thinly.’

You might consider that not very helpful. However I found talking to people I know about fears helped me. And for that matter, hearing about theirs.

Hope it works out for you.

3 Likes

We’re in strange times. There is a lot of uncertainty ahead and this forum and music is always a nice distraction from the crap elsewhere. From your other post it sounds like perhaps there are some other issues which only professional help will sort out. As another poster said, the Hi-Fi can wait (and you’ve got a nice setup already to enjoy). I hope all goes well for you.

James

1 Like

I think it would be very easy to underestimate the value of this forum to the well-being of members whether it is sharing pics of systems, cars, pets or generally discussing our passions. The what are you listening to thread in particular has a wonderful spirit.

4 Likes