Hesitancy and anxiety

There is one other aspect that can cause hesitancy and anxiety with purchases, namely the spending of money, especially if it is a large sum to the individual concerned. I suffer that to some extent, causing hesitation and significant effort to confirm it is the right decision, and anxiety about the subsequent lack of money. However that does not appear to be the case here, given that each time the result has been money spent, just not on the originally intended purchase.

3 Likes

Whatever you decide to do mental health wise do Not let a Dr. prescribe any type of anti depressants of the SSRI class. They are very addictive and withdrawals can be quite painful. Anti Anxiety meds can be helpful In any event I really think seeing a mental health professional would be a good thing.

2 Likes

Thanks for your kind advice. I am not the kind of person who would seek professional help or to take anti depressants. Rightly or wrongly I think in these difficult times that I am one of many thousands struggling and hope that life improves enough to see the corner turned. There are people in far more difficult circumstances than me. I have many things to be thankful for.

1 Like

Best Wishes!

1 Like

Perhaps looking at whether the hesitancy and anxiety is across multiple areas of your life, or just about buying a streamer, would be a helpful thing to do. if itā€™s in multiple areas, and is affecting you, then learning how to deal with it (either with help, or via self-help if you do no want to go to professionals) would be a good step. If itā€™s just about hi-fi and streamers, then this is probably your inner psyche showing you that you donā€™t really want a streamer/are not yet sure about it/are unclear of the benefits - in which case you need o take your time and identify whether it is actually better/more convenient/gives you wider access to more music/is simpler/whatever. And tha should be fun, especially if you find a decent dealer you can ask.

As an additional point, as someone who works in this field, you should not worry about asking for professional help, however - most professionals would rather deal with individuals before their issues become too large and they require much stronger forms of intervention. Youā€™d be happy getting help for a broken leg, because you donā€™t really know what to do to fix it properly - the same is true if your hesitancy and anxiety are spreading into more areas of your life. People went into these professions to help - dontā€™ feel youā€™re wasting their time by asking for it.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve had anxiety issues at various stages of my life. I was on Citalopram for a couple of years and would absolutely try to avoid medication if at all possible. But CBT is another thing altogether and I canā€™t speak too highly of it. Itā€™s easy to think that itā€™s just a case of pulling yourself together. Itā€™s easy to think that others have bigger problems and that you are undeserving and will be ok if you just soldier on. Stress anxiety and depression are the scourge of modern life. Beneath the veneer so many people suffer from it. Men donā€™t like to admit to having problems lest they look inadequate or failing somehow. There is online counselling in most areas. Here in Hampshire we have Silverline. You refer yourself with no need to visit doctors and if you put aside preconceptions itā€™s really powerful and can be really useful. Anxiety can cause paralysis. What if? What if? What if? It needs to be beaten, and a little help can assist you in doing that. You pay your taxes. Take advantage of whatā€™s available. Donā€™t let anxiety make your life smaller.

13 Likes

Most systems seem to grow organically people just keep adding and changing. I started with 4 boxes and my trusty old Royds. Nothing in my system apart from the speakers are the same now, Iā€™m just getting through my 3rd or 4th upgrade and Iā€™m always nervous. Itā€™s always a big step these boxes arenā€™t cheap and itā€™s easy to make the wrong choice. It took me ages to decide on what to do about speakers and I still did nothing. Iā€™ll be a lot more hesitant next upgrade as it will more than likely be my last.

Thereā€™s nothing wrong with enjoying what you have, you donā€™t need the latest most expensive gear to enjoy music. Some of the threads here could be quite depressing, itā€™s easy to end up with stack envy if you take it all in. Itā€™s tough times, people are probably going to be even more hesitant for a while.

As for the streamers, for me theyā€™re a godsend, even if you donā€™t stream from a 3rd party (I donā€™t) put your own much on a server. Everything is filed, I never have to touch my system records, CDs again (good as Iā€™ve always got paint on me). But the best thing is regardless of what anyone tells you it sounds fantastic.

4 Likes

I occasionally get panic attacks. Seemingly overtaken by feelings and thoughts that drain the strength out of me.
Traveling on the London Underground with some stations having a long downward escalator always gets me - especially if itā€™s busy and being jostled.
I have often looked up what stations offer lifts and arrange my journeys around them.
Same with flights and then having to use those mobile stairs to get off.

1 Like

Hope things are improving?

1 Like

I had a few panic attacks a few months ago during the lockdown. Mrs Mike was on her first round of chemo. We were told there was a very low risk of a high fever and if it happened to call the oncologist immediately and go straight to hospital without waiting for an ambulance.

So, unfortunately that happened and the oncologist called the hospital to arrange treatment. When we got there security tried to stop us going up to A & E, then they wouldnā€™t let Mrs Mike in because she a had a fever. Eventually let her in, wouldnā€™t let me and my daughter in. It was quite horrible and I had several melt downs. We were treated very inhumanly.

Sorry, it has been on mind. You have to become the witness to these things, otherwise it can be a heavy burden.

2 Likes

Thank you. Mrs Mike has another MRI tomorrow and needs another biopsy before making some pretty hard decisions.

She is remarkably though, a strong warrior mother. She will sacrifice anything to live to support our daughter. You couldnā€™t ask for more.

3 Likes

Hi Mike

Not good at all- hope all goes well .

Best wishes

Ian

2 Likes

Is this something that you think has got worse with age or the current pandemic?
Best wishes

I have found that during my life there have been major problems that I have taken in my stride. Yet, as happened to you events can suddenly create almost unmanageable overload. The most worrying is when it is the tiniest and most trivial incident that tips the scales.

2 Likes

Hi Mike, these are not good times to have any sort of illness, especially something so serious - best wishes.

1 Like

I was, and still am, in the position where I just could not face change and could not be bothered to start anything that would involve great change in fear of loosing something more. It got to the point where I had a melt down and went to see my GP who was very understanding and supportive. I have since been diagnosed with depression, anxiety and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder all linked back to events in my childhood and the death of my first wife 10 years ago. I am now on medication which takes the edge off the feelings and helps me through the days. I have a weekley conversation with a therapist which is a great help and comfort.
I have learnt with the help of the therapist that I can say no to change and I do not have to change me or change anything. There are times when I have to have change and I have to practise ā€œgounding techniquesā€ to try and get through it. It has taken me 12 months to get to this point.
I think that also age does not help, the older we get the more we do not like change. I know some people revel in change no matter their age, but not me at 58.
All I can say from my own experiances, igahman, is not to be hesitant in taking that first step in seeking help from you GP, there is so much help out there.
I hope you get your issues resolved very soon.
ā€œWhen we cannot find contentment in ourselves, it is useless to seek it elsewhereā€ Francois, Duc De La Rochefoucauld ( 1613-1680 ).

6 Likes

Take care. Best wishes.

Not to oversimplify a complex issue, but the OP did mention anxiety and coffee in the same post. Caffeine (and sugar) intake is worth monitoring when dealing with anxiety. Of course, a cup of coffee can be a nice mood lifter, but caffeine is usually not a great idea if youā€™re already feeling anxious.

In this respect, optimal caffeine intake can require some tweakery ā€“ much like owning a Naim system :grimacing:

Mindfulness is a bit of an overused term these days, but it does have a decent, several thousand years-old pedigree, and can definitely help with anxiety issues. Plenty of books / online material available as an alternative to professional counselling.

6 Likes

Just this last month of august has given me a few panic attacks. Iā€™m a chef and the eat out to help out scheme has had me working everyday. Come Monday to Wednesday things have been very difficult with orders flying in and people wanting food flying out.
Working under pressure normally means for me being methodical, going through things properly but quickly. Being under double pressure things can go wrong very easily - so more pressure on top to stay on top of it. Made more difficult being tired both mentally and physically.
Still, Iā€™m not complaining. Iā€™m still youngish enough to cope.
Today is my first proper time off for a couple of days and still feeling pumped up. Itā€™s a nice day so I think a nice long walk or a ride on my bicycle will help me to unwind. :grin:

3 Likes

That all sounds quite horrible.
As I have followed this thread from my early response and learnt and sympathised I feel that I am so very fortunate to be able to find a route through lifeā€™s problems and find the sunshine.
Stay tuff.
N