Hesitancy and anxiety

Mirrors and your grandkids do that. :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

The ā€˜grumpy old manā€™ syndrome! I find the key to it is recognise and channel it into discussions with like-minded people (if able to, in a pub over a pint is good!) or in places like ā€œthe use of Englishā€ thread, and otherwise leave the grumbles behind, instead breathedeep and relax and remind yourself of what actually mattersā€¦

2 Likes

One of my sons has just sent me a picture of the ultrasound scan of their first child. He said it looked like me, a bit shrivelled and grumpy.
It seems we leave as we come in. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hopefully a long time yet before you leave: plenty of time to shrivel up!

2 Likes

I dread to thinkā€¦ :scream:

1 Like

I think it was his shirt coming out of part of his trousers ā€¦

Where shirts should not come out of ā€¦

1 Like

Hello,
Sorry to hear of your anxiousness, but I think its something fairly common.

I diddnā€™t have a decent CD player until 2016 there was always something else that took the money. Iā€™ve no large collection of discs, but I very much enjoy what I do have.

So I would say, take your time and donā€™t put pressure on yourself. If theres something your system is lacking then try and resolve that first, but above all enjoy the music it makes for you.

Best wishes, N

2 Likes

Hi What may of us may be feeling at the moment has a name - its called Acedia its from the Greek meaning listless anxious uncertain So if the ancient Greeks had a name for it its been around for along time At least having a name for it now gives a bit of certainty !!

4 Likes

or here in France the old ennui.
a bit of boredom, plus a bit of listlessness and dissatisfaction with life in the present.

1 Like

I am not sure streaming needs to be complicated really, you can just plug in a Naim streamer, pay Ā£20 for a monthly subscription to Tidal and play most of the music in the world in CD quality - itā€™s that simple!

I use my streamer to explore music in just that way and then if I love it I often end up buying the CDā€™s anyway because I am old school and like collecting the music I love! It also enables me to rip it for my portable Fiio music player and to play it back on a network server through the Naim NDX. I also enjoy the physical artwork, the production notes etc that comes with a physical medium and have found the sound quality better than Tidal in any case.

As for the general feeling of malaise I sympathise entirely. The Covid crisis has exposed those of us in the comfortable middle class to a genuine threat for perhaps the first time in our lives. This time the threat is of redundancy, or to the health of us or our families. Personally Iā€™m battling with a recalcitrant 15 year old teen at home, frail elderly parents, suffering a dodgy and arthritic ankle that causes pain so thereā€™s lots fo things to feel down about when I stop to think! Thankfully music is an excellent way to sideline those negative feelings and to cope with life - especially when accompanied by a few glasses of red!!

I also strongly recommend learning a musical instrument given that like everyone here you probably adore music. Iā€™ve been struggling to learn guitar for a while but find it a brilliant diversion from the worries of everyday life when I do actually sit down and play (which isnā€™t often enough!)

Just my thoughts, wishing you all the best but I wouldnā€™t feel anxious about buying a streamer, itā€™s just another box on the rack and not hard to use if you just want to subscribe to Tidal or something. Crucially it gives you access to the entire worldā€™s music (pretty much) and thatā€™s a huge blessing!

Jonathan

4 Likes

Thank you Jonathan. I recognise a lot of what you say. Children btw are just as much worry when they reach their 40s. Getting older with the associated medical issues and being dragged out of our baby boomer comfort all play a part. A diversion in our lives makes sense. Take care. Graham

Thatā€™s the strange bit about aging- Iā€™d assumed as the years passed Iā€™d worry less about my children. Despite them now being in their late 20s/early 30s and ā€˜establishedā€™ in life to some extent Iā€™ve not stopped worrying about them. I seem to be spending my 50s worrying about the generation ahead and the one behind. Not what Iā€™d anticipated in life really!

3 Likes

If weā€™re doing the Greeks & French, the Germans wonā€™t want to be left outā€¦

Weltschmerz

/ĖˆveltĖŒSHmerts/
noun

1. a feeling of melancholy and world-weariness. Lit. ā€˜world painā€™
3 Likes

@Alley_Cat I heard Dom Joly talking about how much exercise had helped him, on the radio this morning. It rang true.

We had a decent blast on our bikes yesterday evening before supper and felt good for it.

Apologies if this has already been covered on your thread.

C.

7 Likes

I agree, exercise can be really helpful.

2 Likes

Many years ago via work, I benefited from a presentation on motivation, what drives us individually and collectively, and what hampers us, plus what values we live by and how these various aspects feed in to performance, not just at work but also in personal life. Not overly deep - but informing. Lots of stuff about the Id and what surrounds oneā€™s personality and how elements of this can be changed and others canā€™t. Anywayā€¦and clearly there are other posters here with professional experience of these things.

A question came up about depression & malaise and the presenter said their first call in one case was time away from work and a gym membership for the person concerned, with a managed exercise regime. It may be simplistic but their thinking was (the obvious perhaps), most of us need time away from thinking almost exclusively about work and physical exertion is needed to restore some chemical balances within us and make the person experience a different form of fatigue.

As I say, Iā€™m sure simplistic in the subject case. We were told it worked.

4 Likes

Sorry I havenā€™t read through all the posts on this topic, too many to go through, I will try.

I had plenty of hesitancy and anxiety leaving my old system to move to a streamer - an Uniti Nova. With digital moving so quickly, could Spotify and Tidal disappear in a flash? Now there is Qobuz and Amazon Music, of which the latter is not supported by the Nova (yet). Even USB has many variations and recent years gone to USB-C. Will the system become out-dated very quickly and un-supported? I imagine this will be a very hotly contested space, such as the emergence of NAD M10 and the new M33.

That said, my music knowledge or repertoire is very limited. I am so blown away by what is now available to me now! I feel like a kid in a ball pit discovering music, interpretations, recordings all the time. :partying_face: And Naim does it so very well and it sounds so very good! If the release of the Uniti range and availability wasnā€™t delayed at the beginning, I would have started even earlier! :laughing:

ballpit

5 Likes

All true and well said. Hang on to your CDs (if you still have them). Probably one of main reasons why I donā€™t stream from a 3rd party.

1 Like

Definitely not getting rid of them. Thatā€™s about the only thing I miss - the art work and literature some came with. Still have CD player and system on-standby. In fact, I just checked it this morning, only too lazy to play something from it thanks to the Nova (for making me so lazy!). :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

For many albums thereā€™s often a lot of information and a number of reviews to be found on line, which I find often leads to further discoveries. I guess this is even easier for those with Roon.

1 Like