Hi Cap DR Hum Glorious Hum Problem

I doubt you’re imagining it as that can be exactly how it can manifest depending on what device is putting the crud on the mains.

Have you done what HH advised above?

Another thing to try is to turn everything in the house off, other than the Naim. See if the hum stops. If it does, turn other things on, one at a time. That should tell you what is causing the hum. Maybe you could then put a DC blocker on that. I’m assuming that a DC blocker works both ways, but may be wrong on that, as I have no experience of them.

Main culprits are usually any heating or cooling device, so don’t forget things like the fridge etc…

1 Like

The hum definitively changes it seems to cycle more intense then less so then intense again.

Are you UK based? If so, order on line and you are covered by Distance Selling Regs and you can get a refund if it doesnt work.
Some dealers sell via Amazon.

1 Like

Exactly what we did a while back, we realised the hum was audible at certain times, when our daughter was using her hair straighteners !

Martin

Yes that’s a good suggestion thanks for that

Do hair curlers cancel out the hum of hair straighteners?

2 Likes

A DC saturated humming transformer will not perform at its best and will get hotter and lose power. A DC blocker in my system not only remove most of the hum. It also make my system perform better.

1 Like

I’m still waiting for someone to invent a simple plug in DC offset measuring device. I think at the moment you still need to use an oscilloscope, but surely it cant be that hard to develop something small and cheap. The dealers perhaps might have one that they loan out, then get opportunities to sell DC Blockers on the back of it successfully finding issues.

both my supercap and nap300 psu hum for about 5 mins after i turn my tellie off, it might be something in your house causing it as others have said.

Apologies for typos errors in messages

Who don’t Naim make a DC Blocker for the device?, it seems to me that they are surely aware of it I read somewhere on Naims site that it was mentioned. With their technical expertise they should make something and I’d buy it if it worked!.

1 Like

Because every house is different, and also in testing of external mains devices Naim found a reduction in SQ.

Some people have found an improvements so it’s a case by case situation.

1 Like

Could it be something to do with over/under voltage on the mains? If so, electricity sub-station over/under supply could affect many households that it serves dependent on demand. Time of day and year could also result in voltage changes causing hum problems on sensitive equipment, prone to hum.
My Nova can hum at times but there seems to be no rhyme or reason as far as I know and my other gear doesn’t seem to be affected in any noticeable way. I must admit, I haven’t eliminated appliances by switching them all off and then back on one at a time yet, then again, the hum isn’t really annoying enough for me to have resorted to this solution . . . yet.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.