Hi-Fi and video components - seperate power blocks?

Just wondering what other people do. I use my hi-fi system to provide sound for my Blu ray player and Apple TV box. All componenets plugged into the same good quality power strip (soon to be upgraded to the new Chord Company power block). I got to wondering if there would be any benefit to plugging the TV, Blu ray player and Apple box into s separate power block to the hi-fi components. It occurred to me that these video componenets probably contain switch mode power supplies, which as we know can pollute the mains badly and lead to a negative impact on sound quality. I can’t afford two Chord power blocks so obviously the video will not benefit. However if the result is better music then so be it. What are people’s thoughts / experiences? Thanks.

Yes I use separate blocks and the one for the telly plugs in half way round the room from the hifi. I use optical to get the digital audio from the TV to the ND.

You don’t say what the hifi is. If it’s all switch mode supplies, splitting the blocks won’t make much difference. Dedicated mains for a Naim system is the way to go, with other SMPS stuff on the ring main. It’s highly unlikely that a TV and Blu-ray will benefit from a fancy block. Dedicated mains and a hydra will very likely best a fancy block, and for far less money.

2 Likes

Thanks Yeti. I also use an opical lead from the TV to my Moon amp/DAC.

Hi hungryhalibut, I now have Moon amplification and CD player (for my other half - she dislikes streaming) and a Melco N100 music library. I’ve upgraded the SMPS on the Melco to a linear power supply. This is all plugged into a high quality Olson mains block (not a hi-fi specific block - just a well made industrial grade block) along with the Sony Blu ray player and Apple TV box. The TV is plugged in separately.

I agrree that a dedicated mains supply is the ideal way to go but unfortunately just not possible here. Far too much upheaval and due to the bizzare positioning of the mains input to our property it would involve removing kitchen units to access the consumer unit etc. I really can’t be bothered with all that now - thirty years ago maybe but I want the quiet life now!

Yes I agree about the hydra. When I had my Naim system I found it to be easily the best sounding solution - far better than a mains block. But I’m stuck with a mains block here and the block I heard demonstrated yesterday was a clear and marked musical improvement over the system components (Naim amplification) being plugged directly into the wall. Perhaps I should not say too much about this block as it has not been officially unveiled yet but suffice to say I was so impressed that I’ve placed an order deposit with my dealer.

I obviouisly don’t want to compromise the hi-fi performance especially when I’ve splashed out on a very expensive mains block so that’s why I’m considering plugging in the Blu ray and Apple box elsewhere.

Glad to hear you’re enjoying your Pro-ac speakers by the way. I know that like me you’ve used IBL’s and nSats in the past. I always had an urge to try out the Pro-ac Tablettes ever since I saw a pair decades ago in a dealers somewhere. Sadly it’s one of those things I never managed to get around to.

Thanks so much for explaining the situation; it’s much clearer now. What I’d do is this: get your new Chord block and use it for everything. Get used to the sound for a week or two. Then remove the TV bits, plug them into your old block, connected to a different socket. It it then sounds better, you’ll know to keep the TV plugged in elsewhere.

I don’t think it’s as simple as that. My HiFi has been a mixture of various Naim linear PSUs and Chord SMPS for years and I can detect no downside from running them all off my dedicated mains. SMPS are not all electrically noisy like cheap wallwarts, iPhone chargers, etc etc. My Chord gear certainly isn’t, and neither are the various Cisco Catalyst switches I use. I have lightbulbs that generate far more noise than any equipment with properly designed switching supplies.

Thanks. Yes that sounds like a sensible logical way forwards.

Chris, I think the situation of SMPS vs linear power supplies has been much over-simplified. I know some manufacturers maintain that a well designed SMPS is more musical than a linear supply. The truth I suspect is that there are good and bad examples of both.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.