Hi-Fi in Houses

There’s a house currently for sale here in Saaarf Lundun and in the living room the current owner has what looks like a mix of B&W speakers, Classic and Olive Naim and maybe an LP12 (can’t make it out) – since the house in question is less than 10 minutes’ walk from a Linn-Naim-B&W dealer, that makes sense.

4 Likes

I followed last year an interesting serial , maybe 30 episodes, on the nicest and most incredible homes, on Netflix.
Only one had an audio system, with BW speakers.

2 Likes

Nice mud man (budda)

Maybe he is that dealer…

1 Like

@davidhendon - I know exactly where this house is, and where the dealer lives (he has LP12, Naim and Neats) and they are not the same place…

1 Like

Pity that one speaker is tucked away in a corner, there.

I moved house the back end of last year and looked at 20+ houses before we found one we liked. When I asked owners about the floor and consumer unit/power supply they always looked bemused. When I said it was for hifi I got 2 responses - either a blank look or “oh I like hifi as well, I have sonos”. That covered 100% of the sellers.

2 Likes

There are much more Ferraris or Lamborghinis in big houses than high end audio systems. And probably much more “ Rolex” type watches than fast cars.

2 Likes

Some people like to flash their wealth in front of others - hifi doesn’t usually afford that opportunity.

2 Likes

If you invite people and show them a full active Statement system with four boxes DCS and Magico M5 speakers, they should be impressed.

Think they are more likely to ask if you are a Stanley Kubrick fan

I mean I’d love to have that, but most people if they asked at all would just ask why all the black boxes in your living room. And if you told them the cost they’d just be flabbergasted.

2 Likes

Maybe (though I’m not sure that “should” is the right word) - but you have to invite them round, or publish photos of your room/system. A watch, on the other hand, can be flashed at anyone you interact with - and it is astounding how often people like salesmen do that to customers, not realising the negative impression it can create. A car can be flashed at all other road users, and attention deliberately drawn by style of driving or by revving the engine.

Yes, should is not the correct word. We say “ les gens devraient être probablement impressionnés”.

They are coming thick and fast now, half a dozen houses tonight, the stand out, a £3.5mil one in Bath that comes complete with eight televisions and Sonos speakers, then one with what looks like Naim with some stand mount speakers that I don’t recognise, wood slab sides a the treble units in sloping boxes a la Focal.
I know which one I would choose…

I would take this as strong encouragement to ‘decorate’ more rooms with more hi-fi if I were you…

The best comment I ever had when selling a house was… your hifi looks like a load of boxes… it must be really expensive !! Apart from that no-one eve noticed it.

When I was a teen in the late 70s I can remember going around to my mates houses and their Dads all had a Hi Fi of some sort, Linn Sondek LP 12, Cambridge amps wrapped in wood, IMF speakers, Quad valve amps & Eight track tape decks. Every Town had a record store (den) jam packed on the weekends & stinking of Patchouli oil. Hi Fi dealers on the high street were the norm. Thank god for the interweb.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.