Hi fi insurance

It sounds like all of this insurance discussion is based on UK policies, but I know in the US it is generally the case that a typical homeowner’s or renter’s property and casualty insurance policy has a fairly low sublimit for electronics and collectibles. So, folks generally have to get a separate endorsement to increase that sublimit, or perhaps an “all-peril”policy that actually names the specific articles covered by brand, type and serial number, evidenced by the purchase documentation.

Anecdote - from a reliable source – the modest (sunken) fish pond in the foyer of Coutts on the Strand had to be roped-off when the late Queen mum visited, as she was of a want to peer in, not being 100% steady on her pins in later days.

My experience in Britain has been that decades ago with low total insured cost any individual thing --not just electronics, with a value over a certain threshold had to be declared, with a higher cost if the total of them exceeded another threshold. In more recent years many policies only do that for what they term “valuables” typically defined as jewellery, art and collections. Whether the change has been one of evolution over time, or simply coming in once total home contents replacement cost exceeds some other threshold I don’t know.The other thread I linked above has some people’s recent/current experiences.

Good advice. I used it to successfully take action against LA.

Does that cover expensive hifi components such as 552/500 to full value new for old??

When I spoke to them last year they said ‘yes’. You’d need to check it out yourself though.

G

1 Like

For about six years I used to have M&S, unlimited cover, which at that time was unlimited total cover, and no requirements to declare individual hi-fi components. At one point their prices went up steeply and I changed to somebody else – it was about two insurer changes ago.

The last time I renewed a couple of months ago I noticed a £10k upper limit per item on some policies. There was no option to pay extra to cover higher value items, they simply wouldn’t cover you at all. Not seen this before, and it did narrow my choice of policies somewhat.

2 Likes

Currently my house and contents are with Direct Line…I think I may separate this and go with different insurance companies…for contents and buildings…

1 Like

I’m sure like many here (in the UK) I get ‘updates’ on policy conditions every year or so, and am careful to understand what these mean. I’m 99% sure that when I went with my current insurer (Aviva), who detail unlimited contents cover (non-‘valuables’), that I went through the hi-fi kit cover arrangements with them i.e. were there any item limits and was told not. I will revisit this again this year (c. June).

The telecall team also referred the hi-fi cover aspect to one of their ‘underwriters’ (assume within the call centre/office) and once I explained the non-moveable nature of the items (well >100kgs), they were much more relaxed.

As calls are monitored and recorded, I also make note of who I spoke to and when. I think it’s possible to vary some of the underlying limits if you explain more as to what they’re being asked to cover.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.