Hi Fi mumbo jumbo

JH…idiot he was!

You folk seem to be forgetting about Naims new approach to identifying the functions and facilities of their devices in the manuals. @GeoffC

Yes, I’m on my first post-lockdown night out tonight (actually Mrs Warrier’s idea as she has had her first post lockdown haircut) so I’m getting a bit giddy!

Not quite facing the wall but I dud have a set of Bose 301 way back when. They had a side port with a movable deflector. The idea being that you could deflect from a side wall.

Strangely they still have a version today.

@TOBYJUG Pardon me! Not sure how you think I am involved?

1 Like

How about a “Stiff Power Supply”

1 Like

The only HiFi magazine I read regularly was HiFi Review, which I think was previously The Flat Response. I’m sure they once suggested polishing the pins of your mains plug with Duraglit. Mumbo jumbo or good advice? I can’t remember if I did it.

Duraglit leaves a film thats intended to protect/delay oxidation coming back, its an insulator. But as the plug & socket contacts wipe together it cuts through it, question is how much is actually removed & what size is the contact area.

A 252 just made its way into my system today.

Where do I begin…?

G

Smoother treble and a more composed, detailed and articulate sound?

1 Like

First you have to describe how it made its way in: self propulsion? Self opening of doors? Self slotting into rack, plugging in, and firing up? Then the shock to you either observing it happening, or walking into the room and discovering it.

Plenty of scope for mumbo-jumbo there I guess!!!

1 Like

Inky blackness??
Veils being removed??

Sneaky 282 metamorphosis.

1 Like

now for that to be meaningful - I would like to see how this power supply is going to connect to the equipment under power - substation copper bus bars for example - if not how is this relevant?

Prompted by a post in the Ethernet cables -LISTENING thread, there is another group of hifi terms that may at times be applicable:

Made of unobtainium = so expensive there is no way I’ll ever afford it.

Made of unjustifiedium = so expensive there is no way I can justify its cost (variants: to myself, to the financial controller)

1 Like

So…back in the days…are white NacAs better than those black?

This amplifier had the speakers in a vice like grip giving them no room to manoeuvre. :thinking:

Trouser flapping bass.

I like that description.
I remember one system I had where, if you had a glass of water (or whatever your tipple is - please remember, kids, drink responsibly) sitting on a table it would get waves forming on its surface.

1 Like

“Trouser flapping bass”, like that too. Must have been in the 70s when flares were in fashion

This is a cut and paste from someone selling a wire for £3000.00
Made me :smiley:

Hand-Crafted from start to finish over several months it offers unbelievable Jaw-dropping! Performance and begs belief at what cable can do. Be blown away and bring a smile to your face for years to come as understanding grows, you will be amazed! And never look at wire the same way again. This is a beautiful mains cable and if you own any reference standard Preamplifier, DAC or Transport this will transform your performance envelope suffice to say you are negating 70% minimum of your data and corrupting the signal beyond reproach. Resonance mains will shift the WHOLE performance envelope of your entire set up not improve aspects alone, a contextual shift in the way your set up will function, removing bog-standard distortion yet without impact on dynamics and a sense of calm and a sense of unprecedented refinement and class to the whole system. Start with the source first and foremost. Simply magnificent! in the realism it brought to my hi-fi system

5 Likes