Hi Fi reviews Translation!

I think it’s Tarun :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Remember when vauxhall refused to give top gear any more cars because Clarkson slated them😁

It certainly happens in the motoring press, as Jeremy Clarkson made clear after some disparaging comments about some manufacturer(s) who promptly withdrew their advertising in Top Gear magazine.

That’s the one! Plus they withdrew advertising from the Top Gear magazine if I’m not mistaken.

I am not familiar with the episode and its details, but withdrawing after a comment is not the same as announcing such conditions and actions in advance.

The issue should be more concerning that most reviews are from items widely available.
I’m sure these publications are aware of what’s selling successfully at dealers and online.
If one is to read between the lines, what can one make of those items that don’t get covered or supported ?
How many hifi devices - that are most probably better than the ones we know - are out there that we have no idea about ?
More often or not folk are just buying what everyone else is buying.

You’re right, it’s not the same, but it’s possibly implied when any advertiser pays their money.

1 Like

Sure, there is always this implication somewhere. Proper newspapers therefore have ad department and editorial department strictly separated, but of course this works better the more financially secure the paper is. I’m sure these things exist, but there is little substance in this whole thread when compared with what gets thrown around

There are a few hifi reviewers on Youtube who talk about this, some of them have also worked for magazines in the past.

The gist is basically that they do sometimes receive gear that they don’t like, but they generally don’t publish those reviews. The main reason is because (almost) no one is interested in poorly reviewed gear; why would a reviewer or outlet spend time to write, edit, film/photograph and publish/broadcast a review of something that they don’t think people should buy? It’s not economical for them to pursue. Since the attention span of the general audience is so fragmented, they prefer to post reviews of stuff they think people will like.

The manufacturers play almost no role in this, and they don’t pressure reviewers / outlets. They are eager to send gear and just hope it gets published. It’s mutually beneficial to them to keep the relationship neutral. Since there are so many brands and so many outlets, there is no reason for them to create unnecessary tensions.

4 Likes

These older posts may also be of interest:

1 Like

I certainly would not have bought a car on a Clarksen review.

Ok, started with a light hearted post😀 Describing how i foolishly brought speakers based on reviews only. Now people are getting upset, please don’t.
And yes all those who said its better to audition, your absolutely right. My bad, dont mind falling on my sword on that subject. The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

Its all my fault i was wrong, move on chill out, enjoy the music!

1 Like

Almost like on Ghostbusters’ where crossing the streams could result in the realm of Gozer closing.
I have in the past read reviews of what was bad not put so much into question - more the taste of those who might like it without recognition of the badness.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone is upset. But the majority of your first post was spent making not-so-nice assertions about reviewers, so naturally people will comment on this as well, this can’t come as a surprise.

1 Like

More an amusing I observation I would say

Speakers… probably more than any hi-fi component are such a personal thing.

Every man and his dog can be raving about speaker X …and they might well leave you stone cold.

A while ago I was looking for a £3k or less speaker
I listened to all the usual suspects from PMC / ATC etc in that price band, at my ever helpful dealer
I was at the point of think …I’m going to have to look in the next price bracket up … because these are all rubbish (IMO)
Then he suggested Russell K…well Knock me over with a tweeter…the red 100 just blow me away…and were at the bottom of my price range (@£1850) too.

That’s why buying on reviews is not an option…otherwise we would all have the same choice of one speaker in each price band
I now have Kudos
But still remember the Russell K that I kept for 5years very fondly

2 Likes

Don’t forget that in the market we’re in price of sale is not related to cost of manufacture.

Either things are made to compete in a certain price bracket, or the price is decided afterwards to be competitive. No for profit company will sell a speaker for 2k if it compares well to with 3k speakers and vice versa.

It’s a bit oversimplified as some brands you might pay for the name/reputation, but close enough to also explain things being close together.

Interesting as those two manufacturers extensively provide quality mastering speakers for the musical industry … and their consumer products often use drivers or variants from their professional products. Certainly with ATC their domestic products can have looser tolerances and are not designed to take the same power punishment that their professional siblings take.

I certainly wouldn’t say they are rubbish… PMC, ATC, Kudos and even Russell K make fine speakers that I all enjoy, although Russell K have quite a distinctive character.

1 Like

The rubbish comment was qualified with IMO …and what I meant by that was the auditioned speakers did not improve on my existing (Naim) speakers…

Sorry if I did not make that clear

Ahh thanks for explaining

1 Like