Hi-Fi spend no longer part of ONS cost of living

I noticed that ‘Hi-fi’ has been removed from the Office of National Statistics’ latest ‘shopping basket’ of things by which to judge the rise in the ‘cost of living’. Their reason is quoted as

Removed due to low coverage and declining consumer spend. This will be replaced by a portable speaker reflecting current trends.

In part I’m surprised that the stratospheric rise in the cost of Hi-Fi hasn’t offset lower sales but, in any case, perhaps it’s ‘game over’ for all us ‘oldies’ with our Hi-Fi spending habits. Soon there will only be portable speakers to buy…

1 Like

Never knew it was even in there.

It wasn’t. What they showed on TV news when they covered this yesterday wasn’t hifi at all, not even mid-fi.

Well the ONS calls it Hi-Fi. This is the full entry from their website:

CPI/CPIH Class
9.1.1 Equipment for the Reception and Reproduction of Sound and Pictures
RPI Section
6301 Audio-Visual Equipment
Dropped Item
Hi-Fi
Notes
Removed due to low coverage and declining consumer spend. This will be replaced by a portable speaker reflecting current trends.

1 Like

I heard it mentioned on R4 news yesterday and felt marginally troubled by it. More for hi-fi makers really.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.