Hi Line cable Failure

Possibly, but no design is ever perfect….

I broke my Hi-Line accidentally when leaning over the back of the rack to plug something else in. Was repaired free of charge by Naim.

I wholeheartedly agree. A Hi-Line was supplied with my ND555, but owing to the known propensity to fail (and the fact I got a good deal on a new Super Lumina equivalent), I decided to sell it on and use the SL instead. To be fair, I think the Hi-Line sounded better than the SL, but I didn’t want to have to face the risk of failure and return to Naim Audio.

1 Like

With all this talk, I better check-in on my Hi-Line! My ring snapped once about a year ago but it’s been fine ever-since

Do Naim take on and repair HiLine cables bought second hand or do you need to be the original owner?

Regards

Mine was preloved and repaired FOC last month.

4 Likes

Thanks, good to know. I have been thinking of trying a HiLine for the NDX2, but was a bit sceptical buying second hand because of its ”reputation”.

Mine sits in its box in a cupboard, hopefully still OK.

4 Likes

My NDX2 recently received a HiLine upgrade and it was definitely worth it👍🏼

1 Like

It seems that the HiLine needs to be re-designed or taken off the market.

It does Naim no good to have a cable (or any other component) that is so likely to fail in normal use.

2 Likes

I’ve booked a service with AVO for a 72 & 140, their new line of UPOCC cables looks interesting. I’m also using a Hiline, how does it compare?

Mine was second hand as well but the person in St. Louis had it inspected before selling it to me.

The HiLine cables are great but they are terribly flawed in that the rings break too easily. I had that problem and Naim (Focal-Naim N.A.) fixed it free of charge. I have two ( DIN5-5 and DIN4-5) but I think if I get broken rings again I may just secure them with black electrical tape and call it a day. That’s what I did the first time, because I had to wait almost a year to get mine repaired due to all the Covid delays at the time.

3 Likes

Mine must be one of the newer ones as I haven’t had any ring breakage issues. I’m not possitive as I bought it pre-owned.
It replaced a good quality hi-end cable, but the SQ improvement was immediately noticeable. My wife just turned and looked at me, and said keep it. I had noticed the difference, but for my wife to be so succinct about it, really says something.

1 Like

I had an issue with a Hi Line cable which my dealer promptly repaired, the connection just snapped. I was and still am surprised how low quality it seems the cable seemed.

I’ve seen a couple of used ones at reasonable prices recently and the thought crossed my mind to try one, but this reputation has certainly put me off.

Get it fixed then flog it
Get RCAs sorted. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Same here. Looked at getting some a few years back, but didn’t like reading about the failures.

The dealer recommended Chord Co Signature X cables, so went with them, which I got at some good prices.

DG…

2 Likes

I recall some note a while back about Naim only fixing ones owned by the original purchaser i.e. not purchased second hand. That may of course have changed.

That would be completely understandable

1 Like