Hi-Line vs Super Lumina interconnect

:popcorn::yum:

2 Likes

Been mentioned before but super lumina really requires full loom for the best effect

But so expensive…

1 Like

Are you saying “without SL full loom, Hi Line is better” … / or “spend more money and your system will sound better” … ? Latter slightly predictable, non?

I did mix super lumina speaker cable with an (expensive) Din-XLR cable, then replaced the din-XLR with super lumina Din-XLR - night and day.

… but the thread was titled “Hi Line versus Super Lumina interconnect” … you’ve mentioned Din to XLR and speaker cables, but not Hi Line v SL. Maybe I’m missing it, wouldn’t be unusual :slight_smile:

I’ve certainly heard the hi line in an individual (2RCA to Din) context in my system with a super lumina speaker cable before and it’s fine on it’s own terms, nothing breathtaking though. Obviously there’s no opportunity to go full loom with it.

The gap between super lumina and a hi line didn’t become clear to me UNTIL I went full loom on the super lumina when it became the equivalent of a black box + a bit more upgrade. Mixing a super lumina and a hiline wasn’t that great for the SL - I felt the hi lines presence held the super lumina back, at least the huge gains I’m speaking of didn’t occur until the HL was out of the equation and the SL was fully in it.

1 Like

It sure why these Morgana or other Naim ex engineer designed cables keep being discussed on this thread

The question was hi line vs superlumina

Never heard of them, but just had a look. Great story - but BLIMEY they’re expensive!

Hi Matt

Luna makes 5 different levels of cables. Ranging from cheapest to most expensive the order is as follows: Grey, Orange, Blue, Red, Black. (It’s a French Canadian company so they use French names for the various colors.) Each time you move up the price doubles. So, you are correct, in that the top levels (Red and Black) are pretty pricy, I found that they made a HUGE difference and were worth every penny.

If you were interested in trying one of them, I’m pretty sure they would lend one to you to sample it within your system.

1 Like

Surprised that some think the HL is better than SL - would Naim have got it that wrong……

For me the SL was an instant upgrade over the HL with and without the full loom in a 552/300/NDS system.

Gary

3 Likes

I see you have the Chord Sarum t. Will be my next upgrade. I project to jump blindly from signature tuned array to Sarum t. Can’t believe I can make an error here.
( to connect my Nds to the preamp).

1 Like

For goodness sake try it first. I wasn’t at all impressed with the Chord Music when I tried it (with ND555 to NAC553).

1 Like

I used a Hi-Line with my NDX/XPSdr into a 252 several years ago but then decided to upgrade the NAC 5 to S/L speaker cable. I found in my system that the Hi-Line was holding back the S/L speakers cables changing to a S/L interconnect made a massive difference.

As always I think you must try it out at home.

1 Like

Michael, as I wrote, I have the Chord signature tuned array and I like it very much. The Sarum t is considered to be well better, but with the same kind of sound.
And it’s not possible to test here, as no dealer has it and I need Din/ RCA.

1 Like

People consider all sorts of things. From what many have written here, I honestly thought I’d find Dave + MScaler superior to Naim but didn’t and by a long measure.

Can’t you find anyone with the confidence to offer it to you under sale or return?

1 Like

In my experience, Superlumina brings out the very best of a Naim system.

3 Likes

Michael, the Sarum t and signature tuned array are the same cables , just one is better vs the other one. It’s not like Hiline and Superlumina for instance.

Thank you all for your answers! They’re very interesting.

I fully agree that I should try the Super Lumina interconnect at home in my system but here in Italy it’s not possible, it’s very rare that a dealer lends you some hi-fi device to try it at home. I envy you a lot when here on the forum I read that you try some new hi-fi component at home for a whole week-end.

The main reason why I’m thinking to upgrade to Super Lumina interconnect is that my Hi-Line got broken. The rings splitted and now using it I hear a hum from the loudspeakers but when using the standard interconnect cable supplied with the CDX2 everything is ok. It had already happened that the rings splitted (with no hum) and I was able to fix them but this time a little piece of plastic which holds the bigger ring got broken and, because of the hum, I think that something happened to the inner wires. I’m going to send the Hi-Line for fixing it but I’m quite annoyed of its fragility so I was considering to upgrade to Super Lumina (selling the Hi-Line when repaired).

Because of the difference of price, I didn’t expect that so many of you prefer the Hi-Line in comparison with the Super Lumina. I have already experienced Super Lumina as a couple of months ago a friend of mine lent me the Super Lumina speaker cables and I was impressed by the improvement they made to my system (as soon as I have the possibility I will by them).

I think I will try to ask my dealer if he can lend me a Super Lumina interconnect and hope he will (although I know he has none in stock and has to order it).

For those who wrote that they hear no difference with the standard interconnect cable, I have to say that I clearly a difference now that I’m using it, with the Hi-Line it is much better, more detail and involvement in the music for me.

@mjkent you wrote that

do you mean that the Hi-Line is now manufactured in a different way and it is more robust?

Lots of people find the hiline fragile. One member sent it 5 times for repair.

1 Like

The hiline sounds great with Nac52 and 3 Nap 250s. Major upgrade over lavender. SL probably better but it should be considering the price difference.