Hi-Line

I’m by many years of Naim ownership I can’t say I’ve ever heard about the desirability of massaging a Hiline. A Burndy yes, in order to shape it for a nice fit without strain on the connectors - but as for a Hiline, no.

I’ve massaged my HiLine many times and it makes about the same amount of difference as massaging a Burndy cable. The music just flows nicer…sometimes i’ve been rather taken aback by the enhancement after it being re-installed (more relaxed).

P.S it’s quit a heavy interconnect cable so if one can get it to hang right, with the minimal amount of strain (twisting) around the collars, then all the better.

Checked over my P/L Hi-line and I’m a little worried. Anything sinister in these pics? Right hand housing second ring from bottom

Also are these directional? Can’t see any markings on the cable to suggest it is.

Thanks

It looks ok to me. The grey collar goes nearest to the signal source.

2 Likes

Yes, they are directional. There’s a lighter coloured band near one end that goes to the source. Yours does look like the rings have seen better days!

2 Likes

Got it thanks Gents

1 Like

I believe with the much older HiLines the plastic rings were more brittle.

My one is of 2015 vintage and has been sent off for repair 4 times in it’s lifetime. Twice for broken earth connections and twice for ring repairs. I have to say that ever since it’s last repair (around 3 years ago),it feels more robust than ever. Plus i’ve learned to be even more dextrous, even so, i’m always ultra gentle with it.

Sounds really good with a digital source component. I’m glad i’ve stuck with mine even through the bad times…although i can understand that some would’ve thrown the towel in long ago.

Anyway best plug her back in incase she explodes into little pieces before my very eyes :flushed:

Enjoy! :+1:

1 Like

I would guess having had these problems naim should have updated inner design and material to minimise this? Is this really a problem still if purchasing new today?

Thanks Stephen. Just having a quick listen and I’m smiling. I’ve heard it described as a warmer more organic presentation, and that’s what I’m hearing. More detail in the top end but not at all harsh.

Bass is fuller. I think I’m going to have pull my speakers a little further away from the back wall.

3 Likes

Yes, for a Naim digital component i think it sounds so much nicer than the stock (although very good) grey/lavender cable. Like comparing lush velvet with velour - only joking :laughing:

It’s a great cable and i highly recommend it - it’s a lot tougher than some are maybe lead to believe…which is why maybe Naim still probably build and supply them with their top digital players.

Conversely my own Hi-lines were some of the first ones and I’ve never had an issue with them despite being plugged and unplugged many times.

3 Likes

I think if either of my two HiLine collar segments breaks again I will probably just put some electrical tape on it and leave it be. That’s what I did when mine broke the first time and I had to wait all year (Covid) for an opening to get it repaired. WItchHat is an option too. I have two HiLine cables though, and they are different.

1 Like

Did you use it with the broken collar and did you notice the difference after repair?

I’ve noticed it sounds better at low volume. Anyone else find that?

1 Like

Yes, I used it with the broken collar, and no, I didn’t notice a difference after it came back.

But for small chances like that I don’t have very good aural memory. The repaired one was for my NDX2 and I really don’t play that nearly as much as my turntable.

Spent a few hours listening now and I’m getting why so many say the Hi-line is such a good partner for a digital source

To my ears it smooths whilst adding detail at the same time. Hard to describe.

1 Like

Yeah, It gets more organic and free flowing. Allows cranking the volume up even more. Remember a feeling of more details overall in the lower registers. Well worth it, equals a black box upgrade

That’s sort of what I noticed too with the HiLine on my NDX2, compard to the lavender it came with.

As far as the HiLine on my Superline/SCDR I can’t say if it makes a difference. I got the HiLine and Burndy for the Superline when I bought the SCDR, so it never had anything else. Previously I connected the Superline to my 252 with a standard SNAIC, but that’s not a valid comparison for cables alone.

1 Like

I prefer Lavender over Hiline even though I easily hear hiline technically being better :man_shrugging:

1 Like