Hicap 2 non DRmor a Nap 200 DR what should sound better?

Morning forum

I was wondering if a Hicap 2 non DR power supply, or a Nap 200 DR supplying a NAC 82, would give the best results?.

Just curious,

Regards,

Pieman.

My money would be on the 200DR because the 200 always did a really good job of powering the 82 and 282 but there’s only one way to work that one out!

I think you’re getting confused, the HI-cap is a power supply, the 200dr is a power amp, they do a completely different job.

It’s probably a good idea to put your system details in your profile, rather than simply ‘Naim’, or to say what you are thinking of in this case. For example, I’d choose 82, Hicap, 250 over 82, 200DR. Context is all.

Hi

Maybe I should have explained my query a bit better.

What I am wondering is would the a Nap 200 DR amp provide a better supply to a NAC 82, compared to a Naim Hicap 2 non DR supply , powering a NAC 82? Independently.

Regards,

Pieman

I’d say it’s something you really need to try. Remember that the 82 was designed to be used with the Hicap. Using something with DR may not give as good a balance, or you may prefer it. Of course, 82/200DR is only two boxes, whereas 82/Hicap/NAP is three, so you are looking at different scenarios. If you went with the Hicap, which NAP would you use? That’s also relevant.

1 Like

The internal PS of the 200 DR can supply power to the 282

Hi

I am already using a Nap 200 non DR ,with a Non DR Hicap 2, and a NAC 82.
The Nap 200 can’t be upgraded to DR status, but I could get the Hicap upgraded at some point.

Regards

Pieman.

It would make sense to get the Hicap upgraded as you’ve already got this and a DR Hicap should easily better the 200DR pre-amp supply. The DR version of the 200 only changed the pre-amp power supply output, not the power amp section.

Hi James

Yes that’s is what I think I will do.
I believe that a service is now mandatory when upgrading to DR, so will wait until I have to service it for the upgrade, in a couple of years time.

Regards

Pieman.

1 Like

The Hicap is a much bigger power supply than that for the pre-amp inside the NAP200DR. Also bear in mind that the Hicap uses a dedicated transformer and is dual-rail (the pre-amp supply in the 200DR is single rail).

For all that, a Hicap in need of a service can make a pre-amp sound much worse than when powering from a suitable power amp.

2 Likes

Thanks Richard

Pieman.

Power amp,either Dr or not , would just make it work and the result would be mediocre.
Good sound starts adding an hicap.

I wouldn’t go that far. I think a 200DR does a very good job of powering a 202 or 282 if you don’t want too many boxes. Sure, a Hicap (even non-DR) is better.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.