Hicap Caps

I think you might be talking about the originally fitted blue ITT caps that were in both my 110s (which date from 1985 and 1987). These were indeed good sounding caps but they tended to leak electrolyte so there can’t be many amps still using them. Certainly mine had to be changed out probably 15 years ago!

I have two 110’s.

A very early model was fitted with blue Philips caps, (photo below), these where shot and sounded awful.

The later model came with ITT caps, they didn’t leak and sounded excellent.

Nap 110

1 Like

Mine was completely destroyed due to some itt caps leakage… Corrosion inside and 24v pcb card dead.

1 Like

I seem to remember being told by some of the people in the Naim service dept. that you would sometimes get in a NAP110 where the original blue main caps still measured really well - remarkable after so many years. Perhaps @NeilS can recall?

1 Like

Correct Richard - the ITT ones are usually very resistant to leaking.
That said, I don’t think I’ve ever seen any of the blue res caps actually fail (as in short circuit), even when they are spilling their electrolytic goodness all over the chassis.
When servicing equipment, my usual custom is to fully test the item before carrying out any work, I’m sometimes apprehensive about powering up a unit with bulging, leaking caps. But these are always fine & with no volt drop!

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

Now THAT is why Naim kit should be serviced, as recommended… :thinking:

Quite interesting as I’ve noticed a few HCs on ebay that claim to have " serviced" . When you scratch away, they rarely go to Salisbury or Sheffield.
Which then means what?

I bought it like this on thebay (as non working item). And yes this is why, to avoid this kind of trouble.

I’m loosing patience with many ebay types. They say serviced, then you ask for details/evidence of scope and quality, and they don’t understand.
In many ways I’d prefer no service and then send to Sheffield or Salisbury.

1 Like

I would always assume the need for a re-cap - in my case at Class A. Unless the seller can prove what has been done, when & where.

YMMV… :thinking:

Pretty much what I do. And pay accordingly. My 72/140 was bought in excellent boxed condition with zero service history. Then sent to Sheffield to be serviced. So effectively the clock has been reset and off we go again.
Interestingly non serviced stuff on ebay appears to recently appear to attract higher prices than I think they are worth.
A boxed ok looking olive HC without snaic or service close to £500. Even a second hand snaic is what £80, plus a service at £200?
Looked expensive compared to those that were properly serviced.

1 Like

Something about a Fool and their Money…? Those that pay the high prices are perhaps blissfully unaware of the need for servicing…?

Sort of what I was hoping. Clearly there is not as much value in selling it serviced.

Interestingly, I note a well known naim dealer of the North West selling an olive HC on ebay. Even saying it was serviced. When I enquired, it was not a naim approved service place. Lost a bit of intrest at that point.

They also list items with incorrect photos. I noticed they listed 2 Ndacs a couple of months apart, both had identical photos except from a photo showing the serial number. :cowboy_hat_face:

I can see that happening if you are not a naim dealer. But if you are? No excuse.

If I were Naim, I would be in contact with any dealer not being clear on the service state of a Naim item they were selling.
Different for a private seller - then its simply Caveat Emptor.

These are out of my hicap.

Really quite irritated by said dealer/ ebay seller.
Having spoken to them they said servicing was from WH. Then I received an answer to the same Q I posted 4 days ago to say " general service from naim".

I’ve asked them to clarify. Not least as that would influence any offer.

They’re not small are they?!!

No even consistent. What to believe…? This is a Naim dealer…?