HiCap DR

Hi forum,

i have just (blindly) pulled the trigger on a HiCap DR to upgrade my NAIT XS 2 amplifier. With the current lockdown measures in place here in the UK, and not returning back to work until at least mid-May, i sure hope i’ve not made a bit of a boo boo. I just needed to cheer myself up as i have found the lockdown period so far very hard to adjust to, if i’m to be really honest here. I know it’s not all about the material things in life, but hey ho, sometimes you just got to try and make the most of things while you can. I have made sure i’ve made my purchase with my friendly Naim dealer, so it feels good to support my local retailer. Help to keep those guys going.

I hope everyone is keeping safe and well and are in good spirits. A huge respect to all key workers out there for helping to keep the nation strong! True heroes of our time!

Warm regards,

Stephen

8 Likes

I have been thinking of getting a HICAP DR for my Stageline K.

2 Likes

I put one on my SN2 and am very happy.

Let us know your thoughts after it has settled in :+1:

1 Like

I’ll be interested to hear how it goes for you Stephen.

I’m a bit surprised at the buying of a HC-DR though because I thought the search was on to find some other speakers with bass that could be tamed, to improve relations with neighbours etc.

Maybe the HC-DR will control the bass…

1 Like

Or maybe it will allow listening at a slightly lower volume while still giving pleasure…

Glad you are supporting your local dealer!!

1 Like

Fair point about lower volume.

2 Likes

I’m sure the guys as Audio-T will have told you, but just in case not, you also need a Snaic 4. £179 I believe.

2 Likes

Yes i have surprised even myself here. I have hankered after one for some time now. I also do quite a bit of headphone listening so am anticipating an uplift there also. I’m also banking on the HiCap in regards to it bringing a tautening in the bass department, as well as a quieter noise floor, coupled with a more ‘ease of flow’?

I have no experience what a HiCap may bring. I’m hoping to have the unit here by this weekend and am feeling quite excited about it now. Have i made a mistake? Only time will tell i guess…

Oh one other thing here if i may - can i use a black 4pin to 4pin SNAIC from one of my old NAP 90.3 amplifiers here? I know i may need an extra cable but am not sure which one. I do have some SNAICs in storage from my old active system, i’m hoping one of those will do?

Anyway thanks for your kind comments, i’ll keep you updated.

Warm regards,
Stephen

2 Likes

Stephen, yes your Hicap should come with a SNAIC5 but you’ll need an extra SNAIC4 as well - the black one you mention should be just fine.

1 Like

That’s great, thank you Richard. Cool, i’m really forward to things now! :slightly_smiling_face:

Just be sure to get the direction of the SNAICs the correct way round - the banded end always closest to the source of the signal.

2 Likes

Yep, will do Richard. Thanks again.

thats on my list much later in the year for my xs2 so watching with interest!

1 Like

I ran a HiCap DR on a NAIT XS and NAIT XS2 both with a meaningful improvement to the overall enjoyment of the system.
The HiCap is a very flexible and versatile PSU and can be used on a wide range of equipment as well.
Ironically I recently traded mine in to move from an ND5XS2 to an NDX2 so at some point will be adding one back in again!
Keep the HiCap a good distance from your NAIT best you can, I found mine was a little fussy where it was positioned on the shelf and relative to the NAIT it was powering.
Always power it on first and turn it off last and do please give it a decent couple of days to find its settling point, probably longer if its had little use from new.
This gives you a nice base to look towards a SN2 next as well :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s great Mr.M, i very much value your opinions and appreciate them. Yes i have taken note from some of your very helpful posts in the past where you have nothing but praise for the HiCap. Especially when one considers the effect it can have in a variety of different NAIT(s) setups that you have shared here from your own experiences. Again I thank you for that.

Oh well, just the waiting game now. I think this weekend is being a little too optimistic, hopefully not too long into next week is more realistic…

Now i need to climb right into the back and depths of my storage cupboard and try to locate my old olive active system. It’s been a few years since i’ve even seen, let alone held a SNAIC cable in my hand. I hope this doesn’t reignite some old romanticism flaming nostalgia, i mean even have an old IXO (Naim integrated active crossover) in there somewhere as well…Right! i think i’ll stop right here now and wait for the delivery of my new HiCap first! :wink:

Many thanks.

1 Like

I’m not sure whether options to try things at home are available but I wonder whether an SN3 would be better than the XS2 and a Hicap DR. The SN has a DR supply for its preamp already and the price of the two combos is very similar. I know it can be annoying when people suggest alternatives once something has been ordered but in this case I think it’s worth asking the question. I’d certainly do the comparison even if it means waiting a while.

2 Likes

Yes thanks Nigel, that has also crossed my mind. I haven’t spoke to my dealer yet but have just gone online and become trigger happy. The thing that puts me off with the SN3 or indeed even a SN2 is that nagging feeling i will need an NDX 2 to get the best from it. That is is just too much of a higher financial ceiling that i am willing to accept. There will always be this feeling of “when will it ever end?” With the system i have now the HiCap will be it’s end point, i don’t think i’ll be able to take my current system any further and at this moment in time that seems very appealing to me.

Anyway, i’ve just had a message from our local dealer as i type and the HiCap will be with me tomorrow! Blimey, that didn’t take long!

1 Like

I found looking at the naim manual showing the hi cap connection explained the orientation of the cables well as it shows which end the bands need to be. I would have got it wrong otherwise.

The hi caps are great little bits of kit :+1:

1 Like

My inclination would be to keep it all in balance, as it is now.

Easier on the bank balance too.

1 Like

Hi Chris,

thank you for your reply. Just to clarify - Do you mean keeping things as they are now with no HiCap in tow? or are you referring to the bigger amps? hence possibly opening up a whole new system. I value your opinion. Many thanks.