Hiding Naim kit

Thanks Chris. Therefore assuming sufficiently ventilated a tv type unit could be constructed to contain the kit which is my case is two racks of 3 with cabling and sockets hidden and speaker cables coming out to the left and right

Yes, that would be fine. With a network cable to the streamer you take any wireless connectivity issues out of the equation. Your phone just communicates via your router.

I dealt with the ventilation issue by having the cabinet completely open below the doors, leaving a gap of an inch or so, and a similar slot between the top and the wall.

I only ever caused my 250DR to shut down once and, if I was regularly listening at headbanging levels, Iā€™d rig up an array of computer fans. I recently upgraded to a 300DR, which has a fan, so hopefully that wonā€™t be an issue in future :sweat_smile:

Thereā€™s a few users who are also scaling down/simplifying their systems to fewer boxes. Not everyone likes to see piles of black boxes (especially if itā€™s in the family lounge), but others like to show them off, each to their own.
Personally I decided to hide mine the last time we decorated and put the Sound Org table in an alcove cupboard I had built, just leaving the LP12 on show.
Whilst it hasnā€™t a lot of ventilation Iā€™ve taken to switching the 135ā€™s off when not in use and that helps massively. After 20 mins playing I can tell no difference.
This picture is when it was first completed, 52 now has its own shelf through a slightly different Sound Org table.

11 Likes

I have two such fans, both 150 mm. Mind is a class A amp, so runs hot regardless of how loud. I usually leave the doors open during very hot weather (rare where I live).

2 Likes

Iā€™d rather take the minuscule hit in absolute fidelity to not have to look at Hifi stuff in my lounge for the most part so from my perspective yes it can - but mine is a shared space and the aesthetics of it are important to me.

I canā€™t really believe that someone hasnā€™t figured this out yet / hi fi support furniture is sinfully ugly for the most part and if someone came up with Technical solution like a Fraim hidden in a Contemporary sideboard/mid century unit theyā€™d make out pretty well I reckonā€¦

8 Likes

Not for me - think itā€™s better out in the open

16 Likes

Clic furniture is stylish, Danish, HiFi friendly and reassuringly expensive :innocent:.

Iā€™ve actually seen some shots of them with Naim and plenty with LP12 and so on. They make some special pieces for vinyl storage, turntables and so on. Have a look.

4 Likes

I used to keep my kit in a bespoke ā€œbackless cabinetā€. It was of an antique style, backless so I could have the sensitive kit on wall shelves and it worked well.
I eventually (after about 15 years) moved it to the current dedicated listening room and bought a set of Fraim.

5 Likes

Thanks for the replies. Personally I like the contemporary look that @jamiehcrowther has. If a unit is being custom made then it can be built with two hi fi racks spaced apart and room at the back for cables but with ventilation grills above so so it appears boxed in but still on proper racks. With System Automation and ethernet using the Naim app shouldnā€™t be a need for line of site. I hope thatā€™s what I deduce from this thread

My Quadraspire cabinets have doors. No idea why they stopped doing this, I cannot imagine it affects performance and it does keep things tidy and discrete. Provided you donā€™t put some components on top of course!

The back is very open incidentally.

4 Likes

Yes in the 90s you could buy wood or glass panels for Quadraspire. Itā€™s unclear whether they really donā€™t make them or simply donā€™t sell them in some markets. Iā€™ve noticed that where I am, Quadraspire have several products not available in Europe anymore - sadly doors and panels is not one of them.

But as I always say, itā€™s free to ask.

1 Like

Not here, Dear Boy.

Not here.

Hide it!?

If youā€™ve got it, flaunt it!

Iā€™d rather listen to my boxes than look at them, so have them hidden behind doors that have been built into an alcove.

Plenty of space for them to ā€œbreatheā€ and no worries about annoying green/white/blue/red LEDs :wink:

16 Likes

That looks fantasticā€¦ such a shame to hide the NC boxes in a rack, they really deserve to be shown in all their glory like that :grinning:

Love that you have a power socket perfectly placed behind each box :slightly_smiling_face: ā€¦ do wonder how youā€™re dealing with all the cables?!

What a lovely room, must be very relaxing.

Thanks, Mark.

Yes and yes, I do this. Ventilation is facilitated by removing the hardboard back of the units. I have glass doors for the IR but you can use solid if you install an IR receiver. Wouldnā€™t have it any other way in the living room.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.