HiFi Cables : a summary

A brilliant video about speaker cables and interconnects.

Facts presented in a neutral way, which is quite unusual…

Nothing new, but well presented.

A nice summery ending by some thoughts and personal experience.

Worth the 30 minutes

5 Likes

As instructed by the speaker in the first minute, I didn’t watch the rest of the video.

Roger

Hi Roger,
The guy started the video in a funny way, 45-50 seconds later it becomes interesting :wink:

1 Like

Once here there was the civil habit, on the moderators’ part, to scribble a line or two to motivate the removal of a whole post.
Moderation is one thing, censorship is another. Especially when the moderated member has not, in general, shown a harmful, dangerous or politically hostile attitude. Thanks. A line – just one – to explain the difference in perspective regarding the good or bad taste of my innocent reply would have been appropriate and enough, but this is your house, and I am not forced to come in. My fault. Good luck and good night.

Max, what is this about? You made a post on this thread , then you deleted it 5 minutes later. I’m baffled here. Please enlighten me.

I deleted the second one. The first one disappeared by itself. Or else 53 days of self-seclusion at home have damaged my faculties. Suffice it to say that the first one mentioned C-19, the second one didn’t. Did I enlighten you?

Sorry Max, I’m looking at all the actions taken on this thread. You made a post. Then you deleted it. There’s no other post from you (whether deleted or not).

A good video. I enjoyed watching it and learned a few things. Nice one!

1 Like

Yes, I actually just watched this a few days ago. It was refreshing to see a video that explains the science in a very simple way.

It’s a good watch. From my point of view it’s obvious that a conductor plays a part in a circuit. I don’t understand how some people completely oppose this point of view. For example, a different gauge of cable will have a different property therefore different sound. Anyway there are still people who believe the earth is still flat so I’ll just leave it at that.

1 Like

In case it helps, on maybe 2 or 3 isolated occasions I have posted something, or tried to, but for some reason it simply failed and I had to re-do. I assumed it was either my error accidentally deleting instead of posting, or an internet or system glitch somewhere (I do recall one occasion I having to close the Discourse Hub app and reopen it to get back in).

1 Like

Certainly for speaker cable that is demonstrably true - at least within bounds. For interconnects that is probably true. For digital cables, in my experience, that is true for very very small values of true.

I thought it very good. Very informative.

1 Like

It sort of summarised the cable question & influence much as I believe it to be.
Beachcomber’s post does the same, especially so re the comment about digital cables. I am in real doubts that digital cables as such have any effect, what changes that they might make are more about the effects between the analogue carrier & the end points.
But whatever, it’s all subjective & anecdotal, if it does something for you, great, go with it.

great video Thomas thanks

interesting he thinks shielded interconnects can be worthwhile - I don’t think the hi line is shielded but naim obviously chose not to shield for a reason

2 Likes

The HiLine is a pair of miniature coax cables in a sleeve, so each coax for ch1 & ch2 has its own screen that is common to -ve

thanks Mike - I thought I read somewhere here naim don’t shield, maybe it was the power cables. Never mind happy with the hi line anyway :+1:

The screen question was probably re the PowerLine, neither the full fat or the Lite are screened.
For completeness, the Lavender IC is an unscreened 4 core.

1 Like

That is something I’ve wondered about- I would have assumed screening a power cable was a good thing to reduce the risk of the mains frequency radiating from the cable and being picked up by one of the interconnects/pieces of equipment.

1 Like

Same here. Particularly using the App if that helps…

Yes (but) the power (amps (watts)) consumed with audio equipment is very small & any EMI from the cable will be low. Additionally the twists in the 3 (or 2) conductors in a un-screened cable will reduces it anyhow. I suspect this was a consideration by Naim when they designed the PowerLine so I take it that it was not deemed as required.
But I earned my spur’s in the marine industry & screening & EMI/RFI suppression was always part of stnd military spec, hence why my power cables are screened, except two PL Lites.