Hifi for the people (well employees)

Maybe should be in the Padded Cell, but I think Julian looks like our Leader Richard :sunglasses: well at least the hair.

Kudos to Julian and Richer, I’ve shopped at Richer Sounds since Uni, sadly no Naim gear sold

3 Likes

Richer Sounds founder hands company over to staff - & gives each £1k per year worked. 39 receive £20k+. Richer also donates 15% profits to charity - that’s compassionate business, not corporate bullshit slogans. (It’s also made Richer, er, richer).

2 Likes

Great news for the average employee, apparently £8K to the better according to the Beeb this evening, and a very decent gesture from Julian Richer.

I feel sure there was a figure of the greatest pounds earned per square foot of retail space ratio somewhere in the recent past…

I got a pair of JPW Sonatas there once for one of my brothers. Crackingly good.

1 Like

https://community.naimaudio.com/t/if-only-more-companies-were-like-this/2363/8

I was aware of that in the late 80s and believe it was their London Bridge shop.

1 Like

Maybe not so recent then :smile:

2 Likes

Much respect to Julian and well done.

Richard

2 Likes

Richer was on Today this morning. He’s doing some work at M&S at the moment. He also talked about finding the right moment for a founder to hand over.

2 Likes

6 Likes

I seem to recall it in the Guiness Book Of Records?
:grinning:

Yes, you’re right. From Wikipedia:
Richer Sounds formally began trading in 1978 when Richer, then aged 19, opened his first shop near London Bridge, with the help of photography retailer Vic Odden. For over 20 years, this shop has been listed in the Guinness Book of Records for the highest sales per square foot of any retail outlet in the world.

2 Likes

Nice one Julian Richer.
So good to hear of an altruistic and caring CEO, unlike many of the selfish, greedy robbing scumbags that have featured in the media in recent times.
Just one comment from an old lefty, “A colleague advisory council will be established to represent the interests of employees”. Why not just recognise and encourage employees to join the appropriate Trade Union?
:grinning:

4 Likes

For those interested in his views then his recent book The Ethical Capitalist is well worth a read.

Richard

2 Likes

I wish I could be as enthusiastic about Richer Sounds in Exeter. From my recent enquiries they do not stock Cd players nor Cd rippers music machines as its all ‘streaming now.’ I may be old fashioned but their ‘with it the times market’ make them seem limited. Yet the Music Fidellity (now Project Austrian owned) Cdripper/amp/streamer is sold via Richer Sounds but perhaps not in Exeter branch…!

Qb and Muso there.

I know a few old comrades who would go apoplectic at the notion of Ethical Capitalism! :joy:

2 Likes

He’s to be applauded for sure. I always buy my TVs at Richer…along with my daughter’s first proper turntable.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.