HiFI Mental Health

Humour is often quite difficult to convey in post on forums like this. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I’d very much like to thank everyone who has wished me well and liked my earlier post, it’s very good to have such support.

I can also assure you that although the causal problem isn’t completely resolved, I am now stable again (well as much as I was to start with anyway). I’ve got over the shock of finding that the waiting time was at least three times longer than I was told (and may be up to 8 times longer) and I’ve started pursuing a course of action based on private healthcare.

I’m also trying to get accurate information via a FoI request) so I can highlight the situation to NHS England and to my MP, and doing something about it for people who are less fortunate and can’t afford private healthcare is also helping to bolster my strength.

10 Likes

Apologies Paul. It was indeed an attempt at humour as others have noted.

G

2 Likes

First off I would like to say I am in no way clued up on hifi and post some probably very silly questions here but always get thoughtful and helpful answers. I had an “old” hifi for years and upgrade to a uniti just over a year ago and was blown away by it. I have since upgraded that to a 282/250 which should be getting delivered sometime in the next week having ordered it in Nov. Already I am thinking about a 300/252. I was asking myself am I loosing my marbles by chasing high spec equipment. Music is on in our house pretty much all day long (we dont really do TV) so I can sort of justify it.

Another passion of mine is cars and in the year 2000 I drew £100 from my bank and started to buy/sell stuff (watches and all sorts) as I wanted to buy a sports car. I did not want to draw a substantial amount of money from the savings to do this and after 16 years of doing this I had enough for the car I wanted. I met many nice and interesting people along the way and at the end when I go the car I wanted I think I had a much bigger achievement and joy with the car than simply parting with the cash. Moral of this is after 2 years I got bored of it and sold it ! but for me it was the journey not the destination.

I am starting to feel the same about hifi, as I say we have music on all the time and love it, the hardware is starting to get “in the way” of the listening now and so I am as NigelB says “giving myself a talking too”

I could continue to trade things again and maybe after X number of years be able to buy a 500 system knowing all it has cost me is my time (how much is that worth?..) and the bills all get paid and the wife/kids are none the poorer with holidays/clothes etc. Would I be happy and be in a good place mentally for doing this? I don’t think I would. Others on here have shared their dark stories and it is great to hear they are in a happier place now but it is easy to see how easily it would be to slip into that mode.

Listen to the music and enjoy !

3 Likes

I think about whether to switch it on a lot, or what to listen to. I rarely think about swapping boxes if that’s what is meant. I sometimes play with the VTA or azimuth if I am in a curious mood.

Obsession is a strange beast. I suspect every member of this forum is afflicted to some extent? I have no issues with those who obsess with continual ‘improvement’. What I find difficult to accept is the judgemental attitude adopted by some. I am gradually training myself not to respond in ways that will only lead to confrontation.

As mentioned elsewhere, I believe I have pretty much arrived at my equipment endgame - the danger now is a minor obsession with buying CDs! I really enjoy choosing new music, then the whole arriving in the post, ripping, sorting metadata then playing - I just love it, but find myself buying more than I really should. Still, I have a wife to control me, I don’t smoke, drink much or spend on cars (camera equipment on the other hand…!).

So, all good in general - thank heavens for music. I could not imagine life in a silent world.

5 Likes

Funny how we’re all different! Taking buying CDs for example: With some 1200 albums I feel I have a very large amount of music much of which I rarely get to hear, so I have no strong drive to add to it. That said it is nice to come across something new that I like, and buy it - just that I rarely hear new things that I really like! Receiving end opening a new disk is enjoyable, as is playing it after ripping. Ripping is neither here nor there: a simple task night neither positive nor negative, however metadata can be a PITA and I wish it wasn’t necessary,!

As for camera equipment …I could spend a lot more than I have on that, but have prioritised hifi because I get more pleasure from music, Hiwever recent acquisition of an eos R promises to stimulate thoughts in that direction…

I have only just come to the topic the first thing I would say is a big thanks to those who have opened up about some very difficult challenges - the forum is hopefully a relatively safe space where none of us are here for anything other than to scratch our audio itch and to get the most out of our systems. What should be obvious is that anything can become an obsession and sometimes an unhealthy one and to that end, knowing it is ok to be happy with the system you have is actually a good thing. I very much appreciate the advice and guidance too - I am very much in awe of the collective knowledge and experience out there and glad that there is a desire to freely share on the forum.

Peter

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.