HiFi Priorities - What Next, MC or Speakers?

Given how much you have noticed the change you have made already, I’d be very confident that you’ll be even more pleased/ impressed after that. Happy listening!

2 Likes

I always thought source first was more about time than anything else, buy your LP12 before your Briks.

It is about timing, as you say. But do make sure that - as in the example that you give - you acquire the LP12 before the loudspeakers (not Briks, in my case).

Innocent,

I have to agree fully with your post here. I think the advent of digital turned the old orthodoxy of source first on its head simply because cheap digital sources sound so good. Many years ago when I was running an Ariston RD110SL (very similar to an early Sondek) and Naim Nait with Linn Kan’s I added my first digital source - a cheap but actually very decent Aiwa CD player which cost me £99.95 and had a list price of £199. By any measure my analogue system was a balanced one which adhered to Source First and the digital system was a mullet system. To be honest both worked equally well, but the truth is if I had plugged in a £199 turntable it wouldn’t have come close to the Ariston or the Aiwa.

For me the biggest upgrade I ever made was moving from SBL’s to ATC SCM40 passives. They just sound fabulous in my room from the minute I put them in there.

Personally I would upgrade to MC (which I see the original poster has already done) and then focus on the speakers, you already have a capable Naim amp and will see the biggest change from a speaker upgrade. That’s not to say that upgrading amplification won’t have an effect but I just don’t believe it will be as significant (for the money) as changing to MC or upgrading speakers.

Jonathan

1 Like

Hi graham55, don’t you run 6 pretty much bespoke ESL63s, two augmented by a pair of supertweeters? In the context of this forum I think yours, and IB’s home customised speakers (just replaced IIRC), and Mark’s Troels Gravesen behemoths, are amongst the most interesting speaker set ups around.

I have no wish to divert the thread too much further, but am curious to understand how you came to own that amazing setup and hold the view of source first? I think whichever way you want to measure it, your speaker setup is certainly not, in any way, a poor relation to your amplification, or LP12?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.