HiFiCritic in print no more

It’s surprising that subscriptions are still available.

I have loved HiFi Critic and look forward to future online content, if any. I recall receiving TrackingAngle, Listener, Positive Feedback, ToneAudio, and many others. Positive Feedback has come back online but is not the same, Listener is gone and I can’t find my back issues,
Tracking Angle maybe, and I see Tone Audio on Instagram mostly. I am glad I am past the point of needing audio magazines pretty much. They have been a big part of my life and I still get Stereophile and Absolute Sound on paper for now. Fingers crossed for them.

2 Likes

Just sat down to read my first copy of Hi-Fi News. It’s more adverts than reviews! I am going to miss my paper copy of HiFiCritic :disappointed:

1 Like

Hi-Fi News does have a few more ads in it these days but it’s still a good read. Critic will be missed though. On a better note, I received an unexpected refund for the remainder of my Critic subscription today, so that will pay for a couple of years worth of my HFN subs.

1 Like

Enjoy HFN but only as a showcase for launches of new products. Very few meaningful comparisons are made with alternative options … even if a potential rival of similar cost has recently been reviewed … everything seems to be “just great, and should be on your short list”. Music reviews are good though.

1 Like

I had missed the news about HiFi Critic, but assumed it as I got a note that I was receiving a refund on the remainder of my subscription. And I can no longer find Jon H as a forum member here.

I got my refund from HiFi Critic. I don’t recall getting a refund from Listener, Tracking Angle, nor Positive Feedback, once they quit printing magazines.

I seem to recall when Listener folded I was given a subscription to another (forgettable) publication. Bummer… Art did such a great job with Listener, too bad it could not survive.

1 Like

Got my refund yesterday through PayPal. Will miss the magazine. Did someone say that there will be an online version?

Sadly, this is the last of our 16-volume run of print issues.
In recent years we have suffered production and distribution difficulties arising from
Brexit, Covid and the imposition of VAT on magazines in Europe. Add to this, multiple
postal strikes and the economic pressures arising from the Ukraine war, resulting in a leap
in the price of energy, paper, and printing. All of this means the production and printing
of HIFICRITIC is no longer economically viable.

The HIFICRITIC website will continue, with contents including the Forum and blog,
features and back number sales

It doesn’t look like there will be an online version of the magazine.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.