Higher sound quality

Thanks. Availability does change, so who knows. I’ve had some disappear too, quite regularly actually if the favorites list is long enough, so I always buy releases I do not want to lose. Seen more disappearance on Tidal though. (Those I buy are not that many, just stuff I really love and for which also want to hopefully send more than 0.00000001 eurocent to the artist)

I am using Qobuz with Roon and have not seen a single problem. I don’t use Roon radio, though. On the Roon forum, people are complaining that Roon radio bases its choices only on the last played song, and the algorithm is poor and starts to repeat the same few artists or albums after 35 tracks or so, but as far as I can tell this is the same regardless of streaming service

Good to know!

As a matter of interest, has the Tidal content you have lost been in playlists? Occasionally, tracks in my playlists appear to be lost with a message to say that "the content is unavailable".

However, almost always this is not the case, and a new search for the album/track enables it to be added to the playlist once again. Annoying, but recoverable - possibly something to do with indexing (in Roon or possibly at the Tidal end)?

Not in playlists, in the favorites. It is true that sometimes an album is labeled as unavailable, but then it’s just that this one you had favorited was pulled and a new one is found on a new search. Sometimes however it’s gone for good. I suppose it is inevitable among 40,000,000 albums and god knows how many licensing deals that sometimes a content owner pulls their albums. (Or Neil Young being unhappy about MQA …)

No problem, I just make sure to purchase those I really love, usually on vinyl anyways. That’s maybe one a month if even that, which is manageable space-wise as well, and I am still saving so much money because I can now avoid episodes like buying every Beach Boys CD for reasons of cultural education and then listening to them once :wink:

Tidals mix overall is much bigger. I lost a number of older indie material that was only on Tidal. I have managed to source some since on CD but still missing some. Overall Qobuz is getting better. Even artists it does have some earlier releasees are on Tidal but not Qobuz

Most annoying is I have found Roon Radio to be less than satisfactory since only having Qobuz. Tidals metadata, wider catalogue and userbase helps for a more adventurous journey.

I am one of those moaning about Roon Radio with Qobuz. Sometimes its ok but others it’s just dire. When I had Tidal and Qobuz it was brilliant, I looked back at my history and most of the variances came from Tidal.

Thanks. I must have been lucky, I moved 2500 favorites from Tidal to Qobuz with Soundiiz and the loss was negligible. The Roon Radio seems a pity, I read the thread over there. I can imagine that the user base has an influence, though metadata? Roon’s own is much better than Tidal’s ever was for me. Anyways, it seems that the Roon algorithm is simply poor on top of anything else. As was said on the other forum, if it knows lots of track from the same genre (which it does, obviously, because it labeled them), why not play them rather then going on repeat in the radio

I moved about 3k and lost less than 30 I think. I don’t like Qobuz overall as an experience though it doesnt seem to tailor itself to your listening habits at all. I miss Tidal Mix. It’s really crap for discovery.

I never used the Qobuz app much because I got Roon and Qobuz at the same time and barely left the house since November. Seemed very basic to me and I certainly liked the Tidal app and its features like Mix much more. But for Roon Radio it would certainly be Roon’s job to pick the tracks and the streaming service is basically a glorified NAS, why would the service matter for Roon Radio’s poor picks?

No idea it’s all a bit of a mystery how it works as it takes other users Prefs into account to as to what they played after certain tracks, as well as genre matching and similar artists. But it just doesn’t work as well for Qobuz. Perhaps their metadata is not as good, user base had pretty boring tastes or its just broken. I just want it to work like it did as it was a great source of new music for me. So was my mix as I would make them playlists so they copied to Roon to use. I don’t use the native apps much as Roon is my goto but when I did Tidal just beats it hands down for discovery and usability.

My best so far is Lou Reed’s Metal Machine Music…seeded by Eva Cassidy’s Nightbird :astonished:

4 Likes

To be honest I really can’t be bothered with the arguments of MQA,… you can read the patent yourself, and you clearly can read how it’s designed to process the master through destructive (lossy) compression to retain as much as the original pertinent information as it can after lossy compression has been achieved and then later specifically reconstructed.

My real gripe is the markitecture associated with it, which I think is grossly misleading (even Tidal call lossless… which in the UK is a trades description legal challenge, which if I had the time and was retired I would pursue) … but even more so my issue is MQA is not a public domain format, its licensed, it costs to be used, therefore money is going to MQA instead of the performers or musicians when streamed… sure if you paid extra for MQA over hidef FLAC I would have less of an issue, that is then consumer preference, but this way I think the musicians lose out…and streaming revenues for many artists are challenging at best as it is.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.