Hiking in the Lake District

The circuit of Buttermere and Crummock Water are flat and easy going. A good option if the weather is not good. There are a couple of pubs and cafes in Buttermere, but my firm favourite in that area is the Kirkstile Inn at Loweswater. Cosy bar with a log fire, a good selection of ales and freshly prepared food.

1 Like

I stayed at the Wasdale Head Inn again last summer and took a some schoolfriends and their children (and my children) up Scafell Pike - perhaps my 10th time on top of it?

(I have a hip injury so I think that’ll be my last time up that peak.)

It’s a wild and wonderful part of the Lakes, and a special place in the history of British mountaineering:

"Samuel Taylor Coleridge is reputed to have scrambled up Scafell Pike in 1802, some 80 years before the Golden Age of early British climbing (1882-1903).

They relished their annual Easter and Christmas vacations and summer holidays at Wasdale Head, the centre of Lakeland climbing.

These men - for brief periods - left their jobs, their families, and their cares behind, to journey to the Wastwater Hotel, where, full of a fresh and invigorating sense of adventure and exploration, they proceeded to define a wonderful new sport."

3 Likes

As a local I have too agree with the walk and especially the pub….

1 Like

Walk with pub will get the thumbs up from Mrs S too :grinning::beer:

Some great South Downs Way walking today. Popped over to the folks for Mothers Day, so took the opportunity to take in Devils Dyke etc. And can’t beat finishing with a pint.

About 25 years ago I walked the Coast to Coast through the Lake District as far as Shap. I did it at weekends with a school friend who lived at Braithwaite getting me to the start and picking me up after a night in a Youth Hostel. Fell in love with the LD and didn’t complete the CtoC, but did some more. There is some challenging stuff on the CtoC carrying a heavy rucksack. Of the others I think Great Gable and Green Gable are favourites. Catbells is a nice starter. I steered clear of Blencathra. St Bees to Honister YHA is very memorable mostly. I remember the midges at the Wastewater camp site & the Inn and at Derwentwater YH. Meeting other walkers at YHs is rewarding.

Phil

1 Like

Thanks for all your helpful hints everyone. I’ve got 4 rainy day walks and 4 clear day walks lined up - so plenty to cover me for the three days we’re out there

Will report back in a few weeks …

1 Like

Well. An absolutely fantastic time was had. Two days of sunshine, and a middle day when it only rained in the morning. Given we’d had a sunny trip to Belfast the week before, the weather gods were truly smiling down on us

Day 1 was a walk along Windermere west shore, and then tacking back over some gentle inland hills. Rainy day 2 was a walk around the river south of Kendal. And day 3 was a loop around Old Man of Coniston, which involved just over 1000 metres of climbing.

A great time, and feel ready for our trip to the Alps. Thanks for all your suggestions - they were a great help in giving us ideas for routes

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.