Hip Hop and Modern R&B thread

Dawn Richard on heavy rotation here of late. 2016’s Infrared ep…

Great album Chief and great thread :blush:

Cheers

Funnily enough, while driving to the station today to pick up my daughter, I was playing Dr. Dre’s 2001.

3 Likes

Loyle Carner - Waving Not Drowning

1 Like

Little Simz - Grey Area

Cheers

1 Like

Haviah Mighty - 13th Floor

Cheers

After the Chiefs post I dug out this one. This was the first Dawn Richard’s album I bought. I’m not sure it stands up to her later releases.

Cheers

1 Like

Das Racist - Relax

Very, very clever.

Cheers

A superb mashup of styles. Listen to “Adeline” to recognise how cool this is.

Cheers

1 Like

Does this count as “modern” hip-hop? Does it even count as hip-hop? It’s pretty bloody good, in any case…

2 Likes

Might be heresy, but not a bad set of songs !!!

Future - Superfly

“Walk On Minks” & “Tie My Shoes” being standouts.

Cheers

1 Like

Hi Chief,

Liking both posts. I hadn’t heard the Frank Ocean track. Superb.

If I remember rightly you might have been responsible for me buying Channel Orange all those years ago when you posted it on “The Music Room”

Cheers

1 Like

Just remembering how big an impact this album had on me when it was first released. Love the track by The Pharcyde and Grand Puba.

Cheers

3 Likes

I’ve posted these a couple of times before, but as we now have a thread that celebrates great R&B singers seems like the right place to put these.

Nao - For All We Know
Nao - Saturn

Cheers

1 Like

Not a huge fan of Rap but a good tune is a good tune and this is a 30 degree heat record.

1 Like

And in my view the greatest rap record of all time and sonically one of the best records I own period.

3 Likes

Cooling down with an ice cold bottle of San Miguel and some sweet soul music.

2 Likes

Thanks ChiefChirpa great post regarding Chronic samples lots on their I didn’t know and especially loving Lou Donaldson - Pot Belly.

1 Like

One of the greatest producers of all time.
R.I.P James Dewitt Yancey aka J Dilla.

2 Likes

Went to see this at cinema at 13 years old with one of my now passed best friends Little Rich so this movie and the soundtrack always make smile to remember him.