Hip Hop & Modern R&B thread

Dawn Richard on heavy rotation here of late. 2016’s Infrared ep…

…and this year’s album as DAWN, New Breed. Gorgeous production (gets even better with every release), probably her best and most accessible album, and cover of the year…

DAWNnewbreed

In a fair world, ‘dreams and converse’ would be number one for the summer.

Current or recent releases or classic records that you still have to dig out once in a while (The Chronic - in my '64 Impala, obvs)…

What are you listening to / what are your favourites?

Great album Chief and great thread :blush:

Cheers

Funnily enough, while driving to the station today to pick up my daughter, I was playing Dr. Dre’s 2001.

3 Likes

Loyle Carner - Waving Not Drowning

1 Like

Little Simz - Grey Area

Cheers

1 Like

Haviah Mighty - 13th Floor

Cheers

After the Chiefs post I dug out this one. This was the first Dawn Richard’s album I bought. I’m not sure it stands up to her later releases.

Cheers

1 Like

Das Racist - Relax

Very, very clever.

Cheers

A superb mashup of styles. Listen to “Adeline” to recognise how cool this is.

Cheers

1 Like

Does this count as “modern” hip-hop? Does it even count as hip-hop? It’s pretty bloody good, in any case…

2 Likes

Love this (I got it after you mentioned it a few months ago).

I’ve heard / seen a couple of tracks from the alt-j album (the Little Simz, Pusha T, Danny Brown…) and, as I usually do, will try to look up your other picks.

Thanks for all the posts, and keep them coming…

Yep to all of that - great album.

I actually meant any rap / hip hop, together with what sometimes gets called modern / contemporary R&B (if only to distinguish it from BB King, etc). (Was half-asleep when I started this thread.)

With any luck, Richard can tweak my thread title. Talking of whom…

1 Like

Still taking my time to perfect the beat
And I still got love for the streets, it’s the D.A.N.E.

3 Likes

Love the zebra-farming promo for ‘Crime Pays’. And then there’s this little admission:

1 Like

Might be heresy, but not a bad set of songs !!!

Future - Superfly

“Walk On Minks” & “Tie My Shoes” being standouts.

Cheers

1 Like

Thanks for this one. Yeah, it’s heresy.

You - and a few weeks back, Rhian Brewster - made me look up the promo for ‘Extra Luv’ again. It’s my lifestyle…

I wouldn’t have to come up with a very long list of albums of the decade before Frank Ocean’s Channel Orange and Blonde both made it.

From a little earlier, I’ve had this on for the first time in a while, Nostalgia, Ultra

From the above, here’s some stunning ocean visuals from Nabil Elderkin* for ‘Swim Good’ (That sentence is a hyperlink.) *See also Frank’s ‘Pyramids’ and Bon Iver’s ‘Holocene’.

You know you’re going to be great when your record company spends that much ca$h on a track from your debut mixtape.

2 Likes

Hi Chief,

Liking both posts. I hadn’t heard the Frank Ocean track. Superb.

If I remember rightly you might have been responsible for me buying Channel Orange all those years ago when you posted it on “The Music Room”

Cheers

1 Like