His Dark Materials

Excuse me if this is another of those “fans only” threads, I haven’t read the books but I’m always up for new TV stuff and I sort-of knew about the story from seeing the occasional reviews/comments in the media and I was aware of how fantastic it’s supposed to be so I gave it a look.

I tried to like it, I really did. I stretched the attempt into 40 minutes (which is a lot for me if I’m not immediately engaged), but… no.

Disjointed drivel. Like a fantasy version of Enid Blyton but without any plot coherence.

I’ll pass. :unamused:

It helps if you have read the first book because this establishes stuff it’s easy to miss in the TV version.

It’s a quick read. Although it’s quite long, it’s intended for children primarily so isn’t over-taxing. You just have to suspend belief. The writing is way ahead of Enid Blyton incidentally.

And as is often the case with good writers, the story works on different levels, so there is plenty for an adult to get stuck into too.

Anyway, just saying…

Best

David

3 Likes

I’ve not read the books, but saw the Daniel Craig/Nicole Kidman movie and rather enjoyed it, but as there were no sequels I was left wanting more as the story was only beginning.

I watched on iPlayer with constant interruptions and intend to watch again to get a better feel for it, many things like this seem to have rather slow episodes to begin with to ‘set the scene’ and I’d not be suprised as suggested by those who’ve read the books that detail/nuances may be missing away from the printed page.

Must attempt the books one day, but I can rarely stay awake for a minute or two whenever I try to read these days!

1 Like

Bring on the battle of the pr bs. I re-read the first book recently, having been inspired by the trailer.

1 Like

Arggh, do I sense a spoiler ! :scream_cat:

You may say that, I couldn’t possibly comment

1 Like

Fair enough …
I liked the roof top escapades as it gave you an idea of what Lyra’s character is like. But it did seem disjointed.

1 Like

First 2 books I couldn’t put down. The 3rd faded a bit, I thought. But watched a little of the first episode. Seemed pretty well done. I’ll watch it once it makes it to on-demand.

3 Likes

I think it was to paint a wider picture, so those unfamiliar with the books had an idea :bulb: of the background.

1 Like

Hi Winky,

I agree. I think Pullman painted himself into a corner with Angels and ascribed VERY human motivations to Metatron in order to deliver his denouement. Although I fully agree that this is juvenile literature, in the best sense, I do feel that he delivered a ripping yarn with some strong philosophical threads; this will not appeal to many people.

M

I thought the books were great, and if I hadn’t read them, I might have shared your opinion of the first TV episode. It certainly didn’t draw me into the plot like the book did, perhaps unsurprisingly, but I might give it a second chance and watch the second episode before writing it off.

1 Like

Was intrigued enough by episode 1 to watch the 2nd but tonight just frustrated the hell out of me. I’ll probably keep watching but more out of a dogged determination to see it through than anything.

1 Like

2nd episode was quite slow and rather dark, don’t think it’ll work for the average viewer.

2 Likes

I didn’t watch the first one last week, but on my sons’ suggestion my wife and I watched on BBC iPlayer. Knowing nothing about what it was (and not having read this thread), I started off thinking it was all very familiar, and witching 10 minutes or so remembered and recognised asGolden Compass. Googling clarified that indeed it was - but that GC was just a third of it.

Enjoyable enough to let it run straight on into the second episode, and I’m sure we’ll continue with it, though it doesn’t have me wishing it wasn’t a new series so I can plough on and watch the rest without having to wait.

Picking up the Enid Blyton comments above, yes, it struck me rather as reminiscent of a darker version of her children’s adventures, but I don’t find that negative.

1 Like

I believe the first series of the present TV adaptation is also of just the first book (Northern Lights) but apparently the second series has already been commissioned and that will be of the second book, which implies a series three of the final book later.

Best

David

1 Like

I like it, as do my wife and both kids, so it perhaps has the something for everyone about it (mine is Ruth Wilson…) and it’s way better than the hour of unbelievable hokum that follows it on a Sunday night (World on Fire)!

1 Like

Watched episode 2. There is an awful lot of ACTING going on. Nobody talks; they deliver speech. The girl is good though.

Will hang on for now

I thoroughly enjoyed Episode 2, lots of tension; different strokes …

1 Like

Agree Lyra is excellent.

About time there was some acting on television (insert imoji of choice …).

One more episode - if no improvement delete from record list! Problem for me is that the interpretation of the 3 main characters (Lyra, Mrs Coulter and Asriel) falls well short of the Golden Compass film. I find them all pretty two dimensional. Shame, I had high hopes. I’ve just finished the second book of the new Dust trilogy, Secret Commonwealth. A good read, if not a classic.